OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can search for "Paul B" feeder and find a lot of information. It is just an electrical tape container with a stocking on top. A tube goes to the surface with a funnel on top and you add new born brine shrimp. The shrimp heat to the light and have trouble getting through the mesh so the fish pick them out.

prodbot7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can search for "Paul B" feeder and find a lot of information. It is just an electrical tape container with a stocking on top. A tube goes to the surface with a funnel on top and you add new born brine shrimp. The shrimp heat to the light and have trouble getting through the mesh so the fish pick them out.

Thank you! I’m sure we’ll try setting one up :)

DeputyDog95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it possible to just put brine shrimp eggs in the feeder and let them hatch on their own when they're ready?

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually built one that was able to do that. The problem with that small one is that there is no circulation in there for the eggs to hatch so a very small amount of them will hatch.

The bigger one I made for vacations adds a small amount of eggs every day from a dry food feeder above the water and a small amount of water is trickled into the thing so the eggs hatch. I used to use it for a week when I went on vacations.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look great. I've always had pipefish and find them fascinating. Their problem is they have a short lifespan of a few years.

hiluxhobbit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello Paul, i am looking to set up a tank that's about 12 gallons. would it be enough to host a pair of pipefish and maybe some mandarins?

also i was doing more research on their diet requirements and was very intrigued by that feeder you got. takes away so much noise for culturing copepods which is already a pain since you have to culture phyto in order to culture pods.

how do you feed them if you are away on a 3 week holiday?

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12 gallons is enough for a pair of bluestripe pipefish but never a mandarin. The pipes will live in there but it needs to be an aged tank with a lot for them to pick on like pods. But it is still a small tank. Forget the mandarin in there as it would only live a month or two. Just my opinion of course. :)

Fishyj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 13 gallon tank that currently has a watchman and pistol shrimp. Would it be possible to keep 2 pipefish with them? I also culture my own pods so food is not an issue.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 Bluestripe pipes should live in there if it is not a new tank as they hunt all day and if you have to add pods, I don't think they will fare to well as they eat a lot of pods. Probably much more than you can raise. But of course there are variables and I can't see your tank from here.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back