Pipefish

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would like to discuss one of my favorite fish, the pipefish. Pipefish to me are so much different from normal fishy looking fish that I can't help but to love them. There are more things different in pipefish than similar to normal looking fish. They are so different that at one time, in the 1800s pipefish were considered to be insects instead of fish.

1.jpg

They probably got that idea because they have an external skeleton composed of bony plates instead of scales so when you pick one up, it is not slimy like a fish but feels more like an insect. Due to the plates that are composed of calcium, pipefish, unlike other fish require a high content of calcium in their water. Pipefish also have an internal skeleton like a fish, although I don't know why. I have on occasion tried to autopsy pipefish after they died to try to find out more about them, but their insides resemble styrofoam more than anything else and I can't determine what I am looking at. I would imagine if you had enough of them you could stuff them in the cracks next to your windows for insulation.

Most pipefish only have a dorsal fin and are weak swimmers although in some species like the flagtail pipefishes they also have a tail fin and can move rather fast but they won't be competing in the Olympics any time soon. Another weird thing about pipefishes is they can't move their jaws. They have jaws but they are fused together. To eat, there is a small flap at the end of their snout that opens upwards, which is backwards from all other fish. That long tubular snout is how the pipefish got it's name, not from it's shape which I find odd. I would have named them pipefish just by their shape even if thay had a snout like Richard Nixon. The pipefish can exert a fairly strong vacuum through their snout that allows them to suck in prey rather efficiently but lacking teeth of any kind, they can only consume tiny, whole prey.

There are about 200 types of pipefish but the majority of them are not in the aquarium trade. Many are just too rare or widespread to be collected and some just won't live in captivity.

The common banded pipefish that is quite common in home aquariums spends much of its time in the sea cleaning parasites off moray eels. I don't have much luck keeping them myself but I know many people do keep them. All pipefish need live food although some will accept frozen food if it is small enough. Unless your tank has a large population of resident live food such as pods, most pipefish will be very difficult to keep. The reason is that like seahorses, pipefish do not possess a stomach and cannot store any food, they hardly have an intestine either. Due to this food storage limitation, pipefish (seahorses and mandarins) must eat continuously and that is what they were designed to do. They are constant eaters sort of like a girl I used to date, but she preferred to dine on lobsters or anything that was at least $9.00 a pound.

If you have an aged tank with smaller, calmer fish and no anemones you should be able to keep some types of pipefish. Most healthy pipefish will spawn in a tank. My bluestripes spawn continuously. Many types of pipefish will form bonds but in the sea these bonds only last for the season. If they stay together longer than that the females start to nag and talk about marriage so the males move out. But in a tank they will usually bond for life.
It is the males of the pipefish that have the babies. The females lay eggs right into the males pouch and it is he that nurtures them with sort of a placenta. Some pipefish do not have a pouch so the females just stick the eggs on to the underside of the male and he carries them. Inside the pouch, the male supplies food and oxygen to the embryos until it is time for them to swim off on their own, some looking exactly like their parents, dimpled cheeks and all.

3.jpg

Pregnant Bluestripe Pipefish

The male is the limiting factor in how many babies will hatch as the female usually lays more eggs than the male can carry. In this case, the eggs just fall to the substrate where they rot or I would imagine some of them may be collected by White House personnel at Easter time to have an Easter Egg roll on the Great lawn. As the eggs start to develop, sometimes there is not enough room in the pouch and some of the fry are expelled. The male may eat them or some pipefish have the ability to absorb the fry right through their pouch to provide nutrition to the male if food is scarce. That’s weird.

I let my pipefish graze all day and they have a very old tank that is not very sterile to do that. I also supplement their diet every day with new born, live brine shrimp. You can just release the shrimp into the water but I usually put them in a feeder that I designed for these types of creatures that need to eat throughout the day. I also turn off the pumps as pipefish are slow creatures and seem rather near sighted. Pipefish have one of the shortest lifespans of aquarium fish living only 3 or 4 years. If you buy an adult pipefish, it may be near the end of its lifespan. One more slight problem in keeping pipefish is that their gill opening, unlike normal fish is not a slit, but a small pore and it clogs easily if there is debris in the water. Due to my tiny bluestripe pipefish I can't do my normal maintenance which consists of stirring up my gravel. Every time I have done that, I would lose the bluestipes which is unfortunate because bluestrip pipefish are among the easiest pipefish to keep not requiring extra food as they are good hunters of pods and can fare for themselves.

2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Paul, love it! Fascinating fish but my aquarium is way too young to support a pair yet.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great Article Paul. Really a perfect intro to the species and a really good, easy to understand explanation of overall husbandry and intro to the concept of making tanks species specific.
You should really do some more.

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some questions about Pipefish. You said they shouldn't be kept with anemones but what about stinging corals like hammers?

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have no problem with hammers. I have always had hammers and pipefish and never had any problems. Anemones have long tentacles that swing in the current and I have lost pipefish and large seahorses in them.
Bluestripes will live in a mature, not to sterile tank with no help or feeding from us but if you want them to spawn or if you want to keep most other types of pipefish you really should build a feeder such as this one. Notice that male bluestripe is pregnant and is always pregnant.

Neptune 555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I am already hatching BBS 2 - 3 times a week for my mandarins I want to get a pair of pipefish! More information please re: blue stripes dying when you clean the tank? In photos I have seen you stir up the bottom of your tank and you use an outside pump to clean. I stir up my sand a bit.. only about 1/8 of the tank at a time. The water gets cloudy ... but it is not a full blown sand storm. Do you think this would be fine? And what is the next easiest pipefish to keep? I will be adding pods every month or so and will be hatching BBS 3 x a week. (must figure out how to do this when I go on vacation tho? HMM)

thanks!!
Neptune

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank will be fine when you clean the tank. My tank is very old and my gravel is even older so I get an enormous amount of sediment in solution when I stir up the tank yearly and the bluestripe pipes sometimes have a problem with that. I feel the next easiest pipefish are the Dragon faced pipes. They will also eat new born brine shrimp and will hunt them at the surface.
You can see mine here.
http://s258.photobucket.com/user/urchsearch/media/2013-05-06182504_zps6610b0f4.mp4.html?sort=3&o=429

Neptune 555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are your blue stripes with the other tank mates? From previous photos of your tanks.. I seem to remember tangs? I have a blue hippo tang / yellow tang / pygmy angel / 2 mandarins / flasher wrasse / 3 blue/green chromis. I was thinking of getting 3 and hoping to end up with a mated pair. From the reviews it seems difficult to sex the pipefish? Suggestions? I am thinking either the blue strip or the dragon face. From Live Aquria you might think dragon face are easier as they are marked difficult and blue stripe are rated expert only.

thank you!!
Neptune...

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO the bluestripes are the easiest by far as they take care of themselves requiring no care as long as you have a large enough mature tank. Of course I supplement them from my feeder so they keep spawning. Don't buyu 3 of them as two males with kill each other. The sexes are easy to determine. Of course if one is pregnant, it is a male but the male also has 3 tiny barbs on the top of their snout. Look closely and you can see them here on the pregnant male.

laga77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two Yellow Multi-banded Pipefish. They are in separate tanks because sexing these fish is almost impossible and having two males can cause problems. As far as I know they are the best swimmers of the pipefish. They can handle the high flow of a reef tank with no problem and pull food out of the moving water column. I do cover the powerheads in the tanks with mesh just in case. They will hunt for pods and eat BBS and mysis. One of them will even eat blender mush. Very cool fish to sit and watch.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can keep multibanded pipefish but no where near as long as bluestripes which live for a few years. How long can you keep multibanded's

TNT32D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Outstanding read. I almost bout some because LFS said they use them to help with sps pest, but now questioning if they are a good choice for that due to them being slow swimmers. Thank you.

Va_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my dragon face pipes. One of the few species of saltwater fish that will tolerate more than one male. TONS of personality too, pretty easy to sex too.

I find the dragon faces can handle high flow no problem, mine actually seem to like to "surf" in the current.

I have not kept blue stripes as i always thought them to be difficult. I doubt they would get along with my dragon faces in my 80g though.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lage, two years with a banded pipefish is pretty good.
Va_Reef. The bluestripes and dragonface pipes in my tank ignore each other.

laga77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are mine. I had two others at different times but I lost them both to some kind of disease. They both had a growth on their sides that looked exactly like a small Asternia starfish. In fact after the first one died I took a Exacto knife to it to make sure it was not. It was very similar to some kind of tumor. It was above the skin and not into it like an infection. It appeared very quickly also. Both died in 10-14 days after it appeared.

pf1.jpg

pf2.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back