OP
Fin

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have become one hard luck story after another on my build threads. So this is yet another restart of this tank. In May of this year (2021) our neighborhood was flooded by a freak thunderstorm that dumped 16 inches of rain on us in only 6 hours. A lot of the city's drainage is still clogged with Hurricane Laura and Delta debris from last year. That certainly did not help. So anyway, all of the houses in our neighborhood flooded around May 17th.

We had about 6" of water throughout the house and we ended up gutting most of the house four feet up from the floor and replacing all of the flooring. We had to cut our power off temporarily and this tank was on battery air pump life support once again. I was not as lucky this time. Once the sheetrock was removed, the dry-out process with heaters and dehumidifiers going got the house up close to 100 degrees and a mildewcide was sprayed throughout the house. That was the end of the hurricane survivors in the tank - except for the snails.

I had to move the tank outside while all of the repairs were going on and it sat on my carport through a Louisiana summer where we were often in the high 90s. Still, the snails survived, and apparently some Bryopsis that was starting to grow when the flood occurred. Fluconazole is on the way. But with the tank running all summer I was able to keep the bacteria in the tank going and have a modest clean-up crew that has been through hell. Oh, and a small ball of Chaeto that stayed alive despite no refugium light.

Anyway, to cut to the chase, I have now brought the tank back inside, cleaned it up once again, and have it running. Starting to add corals now and keeping my eye peeled for some good nano fish at PetCo - our only LFS. Fingers crossed that nothing else happens and I can get this tank to start thriving again and then restart my 125 again also.

Today I took apart the OceansMotions Squirt Compact and tried to get it working again. This thing is ancient but worked pretty well for a while. Once I got it apart I found that the magnets in the drum had badly corroded and it was beyond repair. You can't really get parts for it anymore, so I removed the drum and motor and it is now just a 4-way junction. Sure wish I had not thrown away the one that I broke years ago. I could have used the parts to fix this one. I rarely throw stuff away because you never know when it can be repurposed or cannibalized for parts. Oh well.

I will keep this zombie thread updated from now on - good or bad. Thanks for reading my ramble. :)

1637189205821.png

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
really glad to see you back here... :)
Thanks. I just haven't had a tank in a while. I wanted to get the nano going first. Hopefully I can get some frags out of it for the "big tank" - if I ever get water in it. Now that is a sad story. You know, I ordered that tank in May 2015. :eek:

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks. I just haven't had a tank in a while. I wanted to get the nano going first. Hopefully I can get some frags out of it for the "big tank" - if I ever get water in it. Now that is a sad story. You know, I ordered that tank in May 2015. :eek:
been a rough couple of years for you Gary, you can handle that,
pssh ,this ain't but a thing.you got this, get her going by New Years... ;) :cool:
need something ,let us know...:)

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
been a rough couple of years for you Gary, you can handle that,
pssh ,this ain't but a thing.you got this, get her going by New Years... ;) :cool:
need something ,let us know...:)
Thanks. Everything got so mixed up when we had to pack everything up to move stuff from room to room multiple times, I just hope I can find everything for the 125 It will be a challenge! :)

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Holler when you do get it set up my friend. ;)

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, but the way it's going, it may be a while. :)

That's fine. I have a whole room to build and two 30x30x10 acrylic tanks to assemble and stands to build for them. By the time that's all done MAYBE I will have the frags ready.

:)

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's fine. I have a whole room to build and two 30x30x10 acrylic tanks to assemble and stands to build for them. By the time that's all done MAYBE I will have the frags ready.

:)
I guess I have been out of the loop for a while. I assume you are reopening the store? That's awesome!

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I have been out of the loop for a while. I assume you are reopening the store? That's awesome!
Not exactly. My amazing wife is paying for us to close in half the carport into a 10x22 room with a storage closet off of it as a gift to me to use as an aquarium and 3d printing room and a lounge. (I have a buddy 3d rendering the room and I will post a pic soon)

I actually applied for a non-retail license yesterday so I can deal plants, frags, supplements, food, water and 3d printed objects. The catch is I can't have more than one car parked in the driveway that isn't mine. So, not really a store per se.
I was way too stressed out by what happened and missed the hobby part. But, people need more options in this area and I miss everyone. So, this is a good option. If I don't want to deal with business for a day or a week, no problem. I just enjoy the room and let folks know when I am available.

I have my sons and some buddies who will be able to come by and feed fish, change socks and do maintenance if I go on vacation. For instance, we have a 2 week trip to Ireland/Scotland planned for a year from April.

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not exactly. My amazing wife is paying for us to close in half the carport into a 10x22 room with a storage closet off of it as a gift to me to use as an aquarium and 3d printing room and a lounge. (I have a buddy 3d rendering the room and I will post a pic soon)

I actually applied for a non-retail license yesterday so I can deal plants, frags, supplements, food, water and 3d printed objects. The catch is I can't have more than one car parked in the driveway that isn't mine. So, not really a store per se.
I was way too stressed out by what happened and missed the hobby part. But, people need more options in this area and I miss everyone. So, this is a good option. If I don't want to deal with business for a day or a week, no problem. I just enjoy the room and let folks know when I am available.

I have my sons and some buddies who will be able to come by and feed fish, change socks and do maintenance if I go on vacation. For instance, we have a 2 week trip to Ireland/Scotland planned for a year from April.
That’s even better! I need to catch up. Thanks for the link in the other post!

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank status 11-19-21. Let there be life! Corals added are happy so far. A few more on the way today. Vendor notified me that the shipment was delayed and should be delivered today instead of yesterday. Concerned about their survival. Anyway a few pics.

1D2BFEBE-487B-4DC6-8805-023D498C411B.jpeg
8368D19C-F776-4776-B070-AABB61EA4B6E.jpeg
1F82EECF-032F-4F01-8DBE-CAD49340F60A.jpeg
7EE80D84-24E4-4530-8CBC-0D08F9D69021.jpeg
E629F422-2AF4-463B-A0AC-02DB8E3FC0BD.jpeg

Also moved power strips and wi-fi connection to the left side of the tank. I have an Amazon Fire tablet on the right side to display Fusion. No, I didn’t buy an Apex for this tank. I am using the very old Neptune Aquacontroller that I originally had on my 140 gallon 15 about 15 years ago. Still works, except one outlet on the EB-8 is dead.

Last edited:

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank status 11-19-21. Let there be life! Corals added are happy so far. A few more on the way today. Vendor notified me that the shipment was delayed and should be delivered today instead of yesterday. Concerned about their survival. Anyway a few pics.

1D2BFEBE-487B-4DC6-8805-023D498C411B.jpeg
8368D19C-F776-4776-B070-AABB61EA4B6E.jpeg
1F82EECF-032F-4F01-8DBE-CAD49340F60A.jpeg
7EE80D84-24E4-4530-8CBC-0D08F9D69021.jpeg
E629F422-2AF4-463B-A0AC-02DB8E3FC0BD.jpeg

Also moved power strips and wi-fi connection to the left side of the tank. I have an Amazon Fire tablet on the right side to display Fusion. No, I didn’t buy an Apex for this tank. I am using the very old Neptune Aquacontroller that I originally had on my 140 gallon 15 about 15 years ago. Still works, except one outlet on the EB-8 is dead.
Nice!

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first frag in this version of Pirate’s Reef. Definitely not my first frag though. A few tiny pieces were broken off of a Setosa frag. Never waste! Ha! Now hopefully these corals in this shipment survive. They were 24 hours late and the water in the bags had dropped to 59°. So far, so good. :)
4B616287-F956-44AA-A6F3-18E037816EB7.jpeg

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good!
Thanks. Just sort of a holding tank for now. Imagine what that little tank would look like if I let all that stuff grow out in there and don't move it to the big tank! I think it might get just a tad crowded in there. :) I do need to get on the 125 soon.

Hey, have you heard anything from our redheaded friend? Wondering if she ever got around to doing anything with her tank?

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Just sort of a holding tank for now. Imagine what that little tank would look like if I let all that stuff grow out in there and don't move it to the big tank! I think it might get just a tad crowded in there. :) I do need to get on the 125 soon.

Hey, have you heard anything from our redheaded friend? Wondering if she ever got around to doing anything with her tank?
No but I will find out what’s going on. Or I will have sherry text. She responds to her. lol

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back