Pistol shrimp doing pistol shrimp things.

DoomervilleG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is so rare that I get an opportunity to watch the little engineer do his thing, even more rare that I get to see both outside of the burrow at the same time. So I took a crappy galaxy video. Lol.

Attachments

• VID_20210827_110845.mp4
    36.2 MB

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used to really enjoy watching my tiger snapping shrimp with his YWG pal. They were pretty big (5" on the YWG and the shrimp had to go 3" plus). Dang shrimp would take snails and stuff them to decorate their cave (wouldn't kill them outright, just locked them in so they would starve). Once a month or so I'd clean out a dozen shells. Still great fun to watch. Lost them earlier this year.

Now i have a Yasha Goby with a Red Banded shrimp because I figured smaller wouldn't hurt the snail population. That was true but now I haven't seen either in two months since I put them in tank. Once in a while I'll see the shrimp molt and I did see the goby tail sticking out of snail shell a week ago. All in all, wish I stayed bigger.

OP
OP
DoomervilleG

DoomervilleG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it's super rare when I see them both at the same time. My goby only comes out with the moonlighting. Usually I only know he is okay because the hermits try to get in the cave and you hear angry snapping, before watching them hobble off.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here my pistol shrimp and a nas snail in pistols burrow.
Was late and heard few pops so as ypu do gpt up and shone the torch into pistols burrow.little tug of war going on.and i wonder what would of happenned if didnt shine the torch in like could my tiger pistol kill a snail. I know it got claws so could rip flesh off at very least.i hollowed a rock out in middle and sat it on bottom glass,well glue to 3 other small rocks so pistol could get under rock and thats where its burrow is and often see it literally just inside one of holes in rock to entrance just waiting patiently. Not sure if the pops i hear a snail venturing in or if shrimp killing pods or even hermits idk.
Through day i occasionally see ywg grab a hermit crab and take him in then the hermit little later darts put the hole lol

Very intetsting watching ywg +shrimp but see the ywg less and less these days as scared off my newly bought copperband ^_^

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back