Pistol shrimp experience

  • Thread starter Thread starter benmed
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

benmed

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 3, 2022
Messages
285
Reaction score
204
Location
illinois
What state or country do you live in
Illinois
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How mean are pistol shrimp?

I have a blood red shrimp and a cleaner shrimp. I’m pretty attached to both, especially the cleaner shrimp who is the mr. Personality of the tank.

I have ordered a goby and pistol shrimp pair for my 100 gallon tank. I have a good amount of rock and Caribsea reefsand for substrate. There is a hippo tang and 2 little clowns. Is this pistol shrimp gunna play nice in the sandbox? Anything I can do or should do to manage expectations? Tank pictured below

915746C2-2580-4C1A-B832-D12827BDB0A7.jpeg
 
You will never ever seen the pistol shrimp unless you have a goby. They make really loud noises sometimes. They make lots of holes under the sand bed like a mole rat
 
You will never ever seen the pistol shrimp unless you have a goby. They make really loud noises sometimes. They make lots of holes under the sand bed like a mole rat
Yes. Will have a goby. Will he be mean to the other shrimp or fish?
 
Yes. Will have a goby. Will he be mean to the other shrimp or fish?
I also want to know about this. I have a goby and I would like to pair up a shrimp with it.
 
I've got pistol shrimp in my 80g amd it's 19 month old and had pistol shrimp for about 15 month off that with a goby and when anything comes near entrance to one off their burrows ,they just dart back into safety, ive had cleaner shrimp clean the goby at entrance to cave and pistol shrimp just inches away inside the burrow and never no bother from pistol shrimp towards anything in tank ,ive got a tiger pistol shrimp ,even if snails or hermits get in or fall on burrow the pistol either picks them up or bulkdozes them out ( how he moves sand ) and doesnt even harm them.
I had same worries about my cleaner shrimp and cuc but got told all will be well and it has been.
I need a new ywg as not seen mine for about 2 months so shrimp on its own which very rarely see but hear the pops every night so still in there
 
I had a pistol/watchman goby pair in my old tank. They were very entertaining to watch. The shrimp constantly excavates sand, so I would try to keep corals a few inches off the sandbed, otherwise they’d be covered in sand. That’s the only downside IMO. For the most part, mine was a model citizen, although I do think he might’ve taken down 2 peppermint shrimp…
 
I have a fluval 13.5 with one huge rock in it. The PS never comes out but a few inches at a time to grab a piece of food then goes back into his tunnels. You never see him and i wish he wasn't in it. (I didn't put him there)
 
Last edited:

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new