Pistol shrimp experience

benmed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How mean are pistol shrimp?

I have a blood red shrimp and a cleaner shrimp. I’m pretty attached to both, especially the cleaner shrimp who is the mr. Personality of the tank.

I have ordered a goby and pistol shrimp pair for my 100 gallon tank. I have a good amount of rock and Caribsea reefsand for substrate. There is a hippo tang and 2 little clowns. Is this pistol shrimp gunna play nice in the sandbox? Anything I can do or should do to manage expectations? Tank pictured below

915746C2-2580-4C1A-B832-D12827BDB0A7.jpeg

Dav2996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will never ever seen the pistol shrimp unless you have a goby. They make really loud noises sometimes. They make lots of holes under the sand bed like a mole rat

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got pistol shrimp in my 80g amd it's 19 month old and had pistol shrimp for about 15 month off that with a goby and when anything comes near entrance to one off their burrows ,they just dart back into safety, ive had cleaner shrimp clean the goby at entrance to cave and pistol shrimp just inches away inside the burrow and never no bother from pistol shrimp towards anything in tank ,ive got a tiger pistol shrimp ,even if snails or hermits get in or fall on burrow the pistol either picks them up or bulkdozes them out ( how he moves sand ) and doesnt even harm them.
I had same worries about my cleaner shrimp and cuc but got told all will be well and it has been.
I need a new ywg as not seen mine for about 2 months so shrimp on its own which very rarely see but hear the pops every night so still in there

EagleEye121

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pistol/watchman goby pair in my old tank. They were very entertaining to watch. The shrimp constantly excavates sand, so I would try to keep corals a few inches off the sandbed, otherwise they’d be covered in sand. That’s the only downside IMO. For the most part, mine was a model citizen, although I do think he might’ve taken down 2 peppermint shrimp…

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fluval 13.5 with one huge rock in it. The PS never comes out but a few inches at a time to grab a piece of food then goes back into his tunnels. You never see him and i wish he wasn't in it. (I didn't put him there)

Last edited:
Back