Pistol shrimp/goby pair question

Always Be Reefin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still in the process of getting my first tank together. It's going to be a simple 20 gallon. I bought all the rock and finished aquascaping about a week ago (glue and apoxy my rocks to get them to look how I want.) Just now realized I may have created a problem.

Part of the livestock I want is a pistol shrimp and goby pair. The problem is that the more I look up videoes of them, the more I see the "home" they make is a Burrow in the sand under some rock. Both structures I built are on baserock which will be sitting on the glass and will have no space under it if they try to dig under the sand. Did I unknowingly aquascape my way out of getting them?

OP
OP
A

Always Be Reefin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have room to put a small rock ... say apple or grapefruit-sized ... somewhere on top of the sand?

If so, it may actually give you a shot at controlling where they make their burrow.
Possibly? The cardboard is about the size of the tank. I don't want to move them to much more apart because then it would get in the way when it comes time to clean. There is the space between the two in front, but I don't know if that would make the sandbed area too crowded. But let me know what you think

In case you need the info, current livestock I'm planning for is as follows
2 clowns
1 firefish
Some snails
Some hermit crabs
Then of course, the shrimp/Goby pair if possible

Attachments

• 20230804_175357.jpg
    20230804_175357.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 22

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 23.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 56 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back