PJ Reefs 2.0 Dwarf Seahorses

Kentech5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember when your first pj reefs was on kickstarter. I was a backer but that round of funding wasn’t successful. I didn’t realize you kept at it and got funded the second time around. I think this is a cool idea and I’ll definitely be keeping an eye on it.

Jerry Gunn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I'm not PJ Reefs. That's what I get for Hijacking the thread. Sorry.

I think adult dwarves can survive on newly hatched artemia without enrichment for probably quite a while with diminishing health. Fry likely cannot grow properly from what I read and have experienced. I got about 30% fry survival on newly hatched artemia so far.

Jerry

Kentech5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was responding to pj86. He is Paul Roncal the creator of PJ Reefs.

pj86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember when your first pj reefs was on kickstarter. I was a backer but that round of funding wasn’t successful. I didn’t realize you kept at it and got funded the second time around. I think this is a cool idea and I’ll definitely be keeping an eye on it.

Yea, I was able to get a small production run. Still going at it. Seems like the concept is finally catching on, with more and more new tiny reefs appearing on forums.

TheDentist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jerry, welcome to reef2reef.

Nice to see someone caring for Dwarf Seahorses since November.

I have not found any literature stating that hydrozoan can survive with a small % amount of water. I have found this article on the biological structure of Artemia cysts. http://www.fao.org/docrep/003/W3732E/w3732e0n.htm

I wouldn't be surprised that most hydrozoan introduction comes from other systems that contain a greater biodiversity such as a reef aquarium. Most of us are guilty of having many tanks at once, haha.

Hello,
I have been researching dwarfs and am super interested in this feeding concept! This has been the only thing stopping me from getting a dwarf tank and I would love to buy this beautiful tank from pj reefs if it truely is a sustainable method for the seahorses. However, I see a lot of experienced dwarf seahorse keepers on the forums boasting the importance if enriching the bbs outside of the seahorse tank as newly hatched brine shrimp are not nutritional enough and keeping the egg capsules outside of the water as well. This is of course anecdotal but with so many seahorse keepers saying it I have to wonder whats right.

So my questions for Paul now that some time has passed since this forum was started, how long have you kept a dwarf seahorse tank with this feeding method running? Have the seahorses thrived and been able to breed or have they dwindled off? Average lifespan in the wild is 1 year but should be 2 or 3 in captivity I believe. Im hoping you have had long term success I would love to buy this product!

Last edited:

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the more important part is how many have used his system successfully for a generation at least of dwarfs, but considering when the thread was started, that probably is not possible at this time.
I have learned, especially in this hobby, that one NEVER says NEVER, but until it has proven itself long term, it would be best to stick with what the science up to now has told us and that is that non enriched brine don't have DHA and for best health of the dwarfs, it is a necessary item.

pj86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TheDentist we had good success using the magnetized feeding as a primary food source. We had dwarfs live 1.5-2 years.

Although, when we start with juveniles we feed a varied diet.

I'm still a strong proponent of feeding dwarfs a varied diet. The magnetized feeding gives you more options and flexibility when feeding. In emergencies when you can't be next to the aquarium a system like a magnetized feeder can be done by anyone and is easy to follow.

If you have any questions let me know.

TheDentist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TheDentist we had good success using the magnetized feeding as a primary food source. We had dwarfs live 1.5-2 years.

Although, when we start with juveniles we feed a varied diet.

I'm still a strong proponent of feeding dwarfs a varied diet. The magnetized feeding gives you more options and flexibility when feeding. In emergencies when you can't be next to the aquarium a system like a magnetized feeder can be done by anyone and is easy to follow.

If you have any questions let me know.

Thats great news! What specifically do you feed to add to their diet? Also, If you develop a larger feeder that rotates very slowly at the water's surface (partially submerged) you may have a great vacation feeder on your hands....

pj86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats great news! What specifically do you feed to add to their diet? Also, If you develop a larger feeder that rotates very slowly at the water's surface (partially submerged) you may have a great vacation feeder on your hands....

We feed Tisbe biminiensis. Also, we enrich both artemia and copepods, specially during development. Once they are adults I slow down enrichment.

Tisbe is really easy to keep, they thrive in buckets of saltwater with minimal care. You can find instructions around the internet.

You guessed our next steps. We do have a larger magnetic feeder. We are experimenting on automating for longer periods of time. We hope this will help with even more finicky eaters and open the possibility of caring for miniature saltwater fish with more ease.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back