Planet Aquarium 130g

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked the tank up yesterday and will start working on it in the next week. Planning for a mixed reef. I ordered it with an external overflow assuming it would be like a previous P.A. tank I had. They're no longer making the old version which was a glass box siliconed to the back of the tank which housed the drains and return. There was a small rectangle cut out of the back glass for the weir. Now they're using what they call their Tideline overflow...which is basically a ghost overflow and a return in each corner of the back glass. This will be a first for me to plumb this kind of set up.

Equipment list so far:

Tank: Planet Aquarium 130g Crystaline tank 60"x24"x21"

Return: Reef Octopus Varios 6

Sump: Trigger Sapphire 39

Lights: Aquatic Life T5 Hybrid with a couple XR15 and an XR30

Skimmer: Either the Vertex Omega 180i or SCA 302 (gotta see which will fit best)

Powerheads: 3 Neptune WAVs

Controller: New Apex

Dosing: Apex DOS

ATO: Tunze 3155

Will be using Argonite special grade sand and a mix of reef saver rock and pukani. A vendor here on R2R advertised he had a bunch of live rock that he had ordered for a customers build over a year ago which had just been sitting in a tank. He was selling for $1 / lb plus shipping. It looks like most of it is pukani and included some nice pieces...like a huge branching piece. I got 100 lbs. :)
PA 1.jpg

OP
OP
Jimbo662

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks great. I have a Planet aquarium ordered as well. Looking forward to seeing the progress.
Thanks. I should have had it a week earlier but their distributor screwed up. They had two tanks that were the same size, mine with the external overflow and the other with an internal overflow. They grabbed mine by mistake and shipped it to Denver.

OP
OP
Jimbo662

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a little progress done today. Mounted the RO/DI in the laundry closet. Put lighting in the stand and drilled holes for the lighting bracket...waiting on the right length bolts to arrive. Also waiting on some plumbing pieces from BRS. Starting next Saturday I'll be off for two weeks straight so I'll have this sucker up and running on no time!
Trigger Sump 1.jpg
RODI.jpg

OP
OP
Jimbo662

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the return plumbing / manifold dry fitted today. I'm soooo freaking glad someone invented the PVC pipe cutter! Cutting every single piece with a hacksaw is for the birds!!!!! Still need to pick up a couple of pieces that I forgot to complete it. I started a grocery list for Lowe's. Also need to strap the manifold to that center support that way it'll help support the horizontal run of the two return lines.
Return Plmb 1.jpg
Return Plmb 2.jpg
Return Plmb 3.jpg

Rocks reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good Jimbo! Let me know if you need any help and when you are ready for a frag of that toadstool I got from you!

OP
OP
Jimbo662

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some behind the scenes progress done this week. Talked to the guy at the LFS about the gap. He contacted the manuf and sent some pics. They said it would be ok, the stand should settle once there's weight on it. To be safe they're sending a black foam pad to use...should be here on Friday. Just ordered my lid which takes about 6 weeks. Still waiting for the Aquatic Life fixture to be in stock. They say vendors should be getting a big shipment the middle of this month. Should get lots done next week...I'm off for two weeks starting Monday

OP
OP
Jimbo662

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good looking start to the build! A bummer the hybrid light is backordered everywhere...hopefully you can get one in before you have to go back to work!
Thanks. On their build thread they said delivery should be the middle of the month. I check BRS a couple of times a day just in case! Luckily the last week of Dec is a work from home week so technically I've got 3 weeks at home. :D

OP
OP
Jimbo662

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More progress this weekend. Picked up the padding yesterday and got it under the stand. Glued the plumbing together, installed the 8020 light brackets and threw on the two XR15s temporarily. Still waiting for the shipment of Aquatic Life fixtures to get to BRS!!!
Plumbing 1.jpg
Plumbing 2.jpg
Tank 3.jpg

OP
OP
Jimbo662

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the new apex up and running today. This thing is soooo much easier than the older version. Had it up and running and the WAVs connected and programmed in less than 15 min! :) Updating the firmware of the base unit along with the different modules is extremely easy.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back