Jimbo662

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always the best part!!
Yeah, well I jumped the gun on the no leaks...discovered I'd installed the gaskets incorrectly on the overflow so there's a small tickle between the glass and outside box. That'll get corrected today.
I need to test my salinity and as soon as that's set I'll move rock into the tank. The rock has been in two brute trashcans in the garage for the last month and a half.

OP
OP
Jimbo662

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, correcting the gasket issue wasn't as easy as I'd thought. No matter how I installed them I couldn't get rid of the leaks. PA said to install them on the outside between the glass and box. That way leaked a lot more that before. The owner at the LFS was able to find a 2nd pair of gaskets...got them installed this morning and no more leaks! I can breath a sigh of relief and get things back on track to get everything finished. Next up is a simple stand to mount the apex and other controllers to that'll sit behind the tank. Working on salinity now. I thought I'd calculated it correctly based on how I usually make water for water changes...30 min of running the RODI and two cups of salt usually always hit 1.025. Tested the water in the tank last night...1.035!!!!

OP
OP
Jimbo662

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, now that I've got the leak fixed it's time to move on! Got a simple stand built to attach all the controls to and got the return pump connected to the apex and running. Still waiting for the Aquatic Live fixture to be in stock...should be sometime this week! Hopefully rocks go in tomorrow.
APEX stand.jpg

OP
OP
Jimbo662

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's getting there!

Salinity - Check

Power bricks mounted - Check

ATO installed - Check

Heaters - Check

Door magnetic switches installed and connected to the breakout box - Check

Temp probe connected and calibrated - Check

Rocks will go in tomorrow!!!!!!

BRS "should" receive their shipment of Aquatic Life fixtures next week...

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I really like the way it turned out. I'm very much a minimalist and keep going back and forth as to whether to add more rock just for more coral placement.
How many #'s of rock is that? I like that amount of open space (trying to figure out how much rock to order for my own build). Also, aside from the misdirection on the gaskets how do you feel about the PA tank? I'm about to order a 180G from them, but haven't ever ordered custom and a little nervous.

OP
OP
Jimbo662

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many #'s of rock is that? I like that amount of open space (trying to figure out how much rock to order for my own build). Also, aside from the misdirection on the gaskets how do you feel about the PA tank? I'm about to order a 180G from them, but haven't ever ordered custom and a little nervous.

I have no idea...I had some rock left over from a previous tank and bought another 100#s that I got real cheap. There's 8 or 10 large pieces I didn't use because they were just too big. If I had to guess I'd say it's 100 - 120 #s. That includes the rocks in the sump which is I think 6 pieces.

PA tanks are great quality. The only issue that I've seen from other people have also been with the Tideline overflow. Myself and another guy have rimless tanks (his is 180g) and we're having issues with a leak. The LFS where I got it was able to get me a 2nd pair of gaskets that helped. Another guy got a rimmed 180 with the Tideline and after several back and forth discussions and comparing our two tanks it seems on his they drilled the holes too low. His waterline is 1/2" below the bottom of the trim. Right now I've been trying to quiet the overflow. The way I originally set up my drains I was either getting a water fall in the internal box and when trying to raise the water level in there by increasing the return pump output to quiet it I'd get draining down my first emergency pipe. I'm in the process of adding a little extender to both emergencies so it'll keep more water in the internal box and not have water running down either emergency.
One design aspect I don't like about the Tideline (not sure if the other manufacturers are the same way) is that you can't remove the cover of the internal box while the return pump is running. I did that the other day and got a scare! The front of the cover extends about an inch under the waterline. When you remove it you have all that extra water flood into the overflow. Thankfully I had both emergency drains in place and they were able to handle all that water.

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea...I had some rock left over from a previous tank and bought another 100#s that I got real cheap. There's 8 or 10 large pieces I didn't use because they were just too big. If I had to guess I'd say it's 100 - 120 #s. That includes the rocks in the sump which is I think 6 pieces.

PA tanks are great quality. The only issue that I've seen from other people have also been with the Tideline overflow. Myself and another guy have rimless tanks (his is 180g) and we're having issues with a leak. The LFS where I got it was able to get me a 2nd pair of gaskets that helped. Another guy got a rimmed 180 with the Tideline and after several back and forth discussions and comparing our two tanks it seems on his they drilled the holes too low. His waterline is 1/2" below the bottom of the trim. Right now I've been trying to quiet the overflow. The way I originally set up my drains I was either getting a water fall in the internal box and when trying to raise the water level in there by increasing the return pump output to quiet it I'd get draining down my first emergency pipe. I'm in the process of adding a little extender to both emergencies so it'll keep more water in the internal box and not have water running down either emergency.
One design aspect I don't like about the Tideline (not sure if the other manufacturers are the same way) is that you can't remove the cover of the internal box while the return pump is running. I did that the other day and got a scare! The front of the cover extends about an inch under the waterline. When you remove it you have all that extra water flood into the overflow. Thankfully I had both emergency drains in place and they were able to handle all that water.
Thanks for the reply! I am having mine drilled for the Synergy Shadow overflow (got on black friday sale) which comes with a double set of gaskets (I checked after I saw your post in the tank emergency thread). That would suck having the water line below the rim, have to make sure they have the right template for the Synergy overflow. Thanks again,

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks great!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Moving right along! Glad you got the leak issue fixed.

OP
OP
Jimbo662

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping to get that Aquatics fixture ordered like today...I'm stalking the BRS site right now waiting for it to be in stock. A few fish should be going in this weekend. Just need to get my UV and the new algae reactor connected to the manifold.

OP
OP
Jimbo662

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are finally starting to move along again. Last weekend I moved my 3 Blue Eyed Cardinal into the tank and they're doing great. Mon / Tues the uglies started...algae everywhere. I moved the Yellow Eye Kole into the tank this morning. Hopefully he'll help with the algae! Finally got my Omega 180i skimmer running. I'd tested it a coupe of weeks ago and discovered the pump was making a vibrating noise. I contacted Vertex about buying a new pump. They had me send pics of the pump and the impeller and while I was taking pics I noticed the butt end of the impeller shaft was chipped in 3 places making it a triangle rather than round. Luckily that was all that needed to be replaced. What sucks is I got the replacement and when I was inserting it into the pump I wasn't ready for the strong pull of the magnets so it slipped out of my fingers. I had a bad feeling...pulled it out and sure enough it had chipped!!!! I went ahead and tested with it and of course more vibrating. Can't someone invent a stronger ceramic shaft?!?!?!?! So, my 2nd new impeller arrived this past week. I made sure I had a good grip on that little sucker this time! Skimmer is now in the sump and breaking in.

BRS finally got their shipment of Aquatic Life Hybrid fixtures!!!!!! Mine will be here on Wed so I figured I'd hold off on any pics of the tank until then.

OP
OP
Jimbo662

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm almost done...just waiting on the lid that should be here mid week next week. Last couple of things to do is connect the UV and algae reactor.
Tank cable mgmt.jpg

Power Central.jpg

jeffp1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks good. I have an 85 gallon with the crystalline glass and really like it. Just be really careful cleaning the glass as it is extremely easy to scratch. I have had my tank for about 2 years with no issues. They build a good tank!

OP
OP
Jimbo662

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks good. I have an 85 gallon with the crystalline glass and really like it. Just be really careful cleaning the glass as it is extremely easy to scratch. I have had my tank for about 2 years with no issues. They build a good tank!
Thanks. Do you have the Tideline overflow or internal overflow?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back