Planning a 180 gallon tank

ks2509

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my wife and I currently have an AIO 40 cube that we love but a lot of the fish we want need bigger tanks. So we have started planning a 180 gallon build for next year. I would like to go with a Planet Aquarium or crystal dynamic tank (still open to other options if you have any). It will be a mixed reef with a medium sand bed. I will have some higher end sticks but I do love my torches and acans so the rock scape will be planned out for both. Current tank is going to stay up so no rush on cycle time. I am leaning towards the 3-4 mint blackout cycle that BRS did with the hybrid system. Any way I’ll post the equipment and stocking list below. Haven’t looked much into over flow but thinking bean style with 2 returns.

Equipment:
180 gallon tank
Bashsea or trigger sump w/fuge
Varios 8
2x brs 600 watt heater w/controler
61” aquatic life t5 hybrid
3x XR 30 G4
Aquamaxx ConeS Q2 skimmer
XF330 x3
Base model apex with ATK
Brightwell bricks x3
Kamoer f4 dosing pump
25 watt UV sterilizer (?? Brand)
Amazon fuge light (from current tank)

Stocking:
Pair mocha storm clowns
2-3 purple fire fish
Tail spot blenny
Lubbock fairy wrasse
Red tail tamarin wrasse
Yellow corris wrasse
Red dragonet
Yellow eye kohl tang
Scopas tang
Christmas wrasse
Lawnmower blenny
Coral beauty
5-6 dispar anthias
6 line wrasse
Red line wrasse
Clown goby
Magnificent foxface
Potter’s angel (maby)
Powder brown tang
2-3 conch
10 nassarius snails
2-3 tuxedo urchin
Cleaner shrimp
Mix of other snails for clean up
Bristle star

I do plan on running carbon but not in a reactor at this time. If needed I can add one to the system. Looking at tropic Marin balling for dosing and eventually switching to cal reactor down the road. As far as the t5 I am leaning towards all blue+ bulbs. With an AB+ style setting. Flow I think once head height and split for dual return are taken into account the various 8 at 70-80% should still be enough flow through sump. The gyres will be on each end and one mounted vertical on one end to blow along back glass to help with detritus build up.

Last edited:

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
congrats on the planned upgrade! it will be lots of fun (my main tank is a 180G). :p

don't overlook the weight-bearing capacity of the floor and perhaps any plumbing that you'll appreciate having planned ahead (like RODI system, etc.).

OP
OP
ks2509

ks2509

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
congrats on the planned upgrade! it will be lots of fun (my main tank is a 180G). :p

don't overlook the weight-bearing capacity of the floor and perhaps any plumbing that you'll appreciate having planned ahead (like RODI system, etc.).

Plumbing is not something I’m looking forward to. But I have looked at a lot of the builds here to get some ideas and once I pick a sump I’ll start planning the plumbing. As far as weight go my house is on a slab so no reinforcements needed.

bpro32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crystal Dynamic has an option to have them do the plumbing for you so once the tank arrives all you do is screw together a bunch of unions (They use sch 80 fittings and colored pvc). I know nothing about plumbing and didn’t want to spend the time to learn, then make mistakes, have to re-cut, re-glue, and order more fittings that I originally forgot so this was well worth the extra cost for me.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back