Plant growing in reef tank?

RyanAbuhoff

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 14, 2013
Messages
32
Reaction score
1
Location
miami lakes
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys!

so I have been mixing my on saltwater for he last month ad have seen some great improvements in my water quality. In the last month alone I had two feather dusters grow inside the tank and all of the coral seem to be looking great.

Recently I began to notice what looked to be a shrub with little white hairs on it growing all around my power-head. I do not mind having it in my tank (actually I kind of like it) but I wonder if this is good or bad for the tank in general.

Any knowledge about this would be greatly appreciated
 

Attachments

  • plant.jpg
    plant.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 193
That is an interesting plant growing from the powerhead! Sorry I can not help you with an identification. However you might want to consider getting it to grow in the substrate or a rock away from the main rock work to see how invasive it might be. Looks like it is really taking over the intake of your powerhead though.
 
given that it has the runners like it does, it's likely a species of caulerpa.. I'd be careful planting it in your display, it can quickly take over rocks.. fine for a sump though..
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 25.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 23.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 16.4%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new