Plate corals

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Joined
Dec 21, 2010
Messages
4,699
Reaction score
1,035
Location
North Kingstown, RI
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to buy a bunch of plates and clams to cover my sand bed, which is very open. I have great flow in that area, and keep rock solid ca/alk. Is there anything special that these need care wise?
 
Plate coral like my Orange plate enjoy lower flow. Just enough to gently move their tentacles. I first had mine under medium flow and it was folding the tentacles down. They will also slowly move to a different spot if they are not happy with the conditions.
 
I have had tons of plates and in my experience they do not require anything at all. like they said lower flow is best and feed them every now and again and you are good to go.
 
The lower flow is especially important if you get a long tentacled plate (Heliofungia actiniformis) because they have very sharp skeletons that easily cut through their flesh in higher flow. Once that happens it's very hard to save them.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new