Platygyra lightening

  • Thread starter Thread starter BradB
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

BradB

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 27, 2009
Messages
597
Reaction score
339
Location
Hudson
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a 'Maze Brain' platygyra. Until recently, it was under a ledge. The bottom part is light, almost white, as it was growing out of the ledge and into full light. I have since removed the ledge, and the whole coral is getting lighter under around 200 PAR. I am not sure if it is bleaching and I am killing it, or if it likes the light and is just growing faster. Should I leave this coral or relocate it to lower light?


platygyra.JPG
 
Here is a 'Maze Brain' platygyra. Until recently, it was under a ledge. The bottom part is light, almost white, as it was growing out of the ledge and into full light. I have since removed the ledge, and the whole coral is getting lighter under around 200 PAR. I am not sure if it is bleaching and I am killing it, or if it likes the light and is just growing faster. Should I leave this coral or relocate it to lower light?


platygyra.JPG
I would keep an eye on it....... it may be shocked by the sudden change.
 
I've got mine in ~70 par for several years. I've also seen larger colonies of platygyra at 30' diving or shallow at 15'. Keep in mind platygyra and paragon are similar but not the same.

This brain (although not platygyra) was from a very shallow dive on the GBR but as you can see it's on the side and shaded from direct light.

dsc05533-jpg.1672046
 
It can take a high light , mine is on the sand centered under 150w metal halide. The coral is close to my front glass, and the back of it (facing center tank) grows much faster than the side facing the glass.

EDIT: didnt realise this is an old thread lol
 
old thread, but I did relocated it once I saw it was doing badly. Since it encrusted the rock, I only removed 90% of the coral. The remaining 10% is still alive, but not doing as well as the part in lower light.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 12 24.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 26.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 8 16.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 16.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 2 4.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new