Platygyra lightening

BradB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a 'Maze Brain' platygyra. Until recently, it was under a ledge. The bottom part is light, almost white, as it was growing out of the ledge and into full light. I have since removed the ledge, and the whole coral is getting lighter under around 200 PAR. I am not sure if it is bleaching and I am killing it, or if it likes the light and is just growing faster. Should I leave this coral or relocate it to lower light?

platygyra.JPG

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a 'Maze Brain' platygyra. Until recently, it was under a ledge. The bottom part is light, almost white, as it was growing out of the ledge and into full light. I have since removed the ledge, and the whole coral is getting lighter under around 200 PAR. I am not sure if it is bleaching and I am killing it, or if it likes the light and is just growing faster. Should I leave this coral or relocate it to lower light?

platygyra.JPG
I would keep an eye on it....... it may be shocked by the sudden change.

RSnodgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got mine in ~70 par for several years. I've also seen larger colonies of platygyra at 30' diving or shallow at 15'. Keep in mind platygyra and paragon are similar but not the same.

This brain (although not platygyra) was from a very shallow dive on the GBR but as you can see it's on the side and shaded from direct light.

dsc05533-jpg.1672046

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can take a high light , mine is on the sand centered under 150w metal halide. The coral is close to my front glass, and the back of it (facing center tank) grows much faster than the side facing the glass.

EDIT: didnt realise this is an old thread lol

OP
OP
B

BradB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
old thread, but I did relocated it once I saw it was doing badly. Since it encrusted the rock, I only removed 90% of the coral. The remaining 10% is still alive, but not doing as well as the part in lower light.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 126 59.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 76 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.2%
Back