Please berate me

Onixom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as the title states please berate me for my stupidity.
So i have a 150L tank and its about 6 months old.
So for the last few weeks ive had trace nitrites and they've not going down, so LFS suggested i put some more rocks in. I however have no more space.
So like any logical person would do i bought new rocks and assembled them together. However i decided to add the new rocks and remove the old ones... see where this is going?

So for the last week i have been battling ammonia as ive essentially been doing a cycle with 6 fish in tank (ammonia out of the wazoo) all my fish are alive and i think secretly judging me but happy enough thankfully

My anemone has disliked it so much that he killed himself inside the powerhead (my own fault for not having a guard) but he got his own back because he clogged one of the return pumps something rotten.
I've put carbon in filters and did a water change last night and thw water is clearing visually now 24hrs later.

Ammonia is still 0.5ppm at the moment but has come down from the initial 1.5ppm on monday after putting 4 full 500ml bottles of microbactor7 over 6 days. Abit excessive? Maybe (not sure if negative effecrather than positive if i add to much)

So after all said and done is there anything that i need to watch for or care to etc from your experience (ive never had an anemone shred before as its my first one ever)

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding the carbon was a good move. Just do more water changes/increase filtration and feed less to reduce nitrates. More rocks usually isn’t the solution.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Half Baked Boo GIF

Seriously though we all makes mistakes, the important thing is that you learn from them.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your mother smells of elder berries and your father was a hamster.

Now that that is out of the way.

The organics will work their way through the system. Your bilogical filter is now bigger, and if you don't feed it you will have problems. You can not just let a tank sit, there is no food. If you have creatures then keep up your normal routine and don't change anything.

If you are new to all of this welcome to the series of unfortunate events that everyone faces at some point in this hobby. It is best to move slowly with things so that you can minimize the type of situation that you encountered.

Now .... leave the tank alone for a year and let it mature itself into something resembling a biome. This works best. :)

OP
OP
Onixom

Onixom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your mother smells of elder berries and your father was a hamster.

Now that that is out of the way.

The organics will work their way through the system. Your bilogical filter is now bigger, and if you don't feed it you will have problems. You can not just let a tank sit, there is no food. If you have creatures then keep up your normal routine and don't change anything.

If you are new to all of this welcome to the series of unfortunate events that everyone faces at some point in this hobby. It is best to move slowly with things so that you can minimize the type of situation that you encountered.

Now .... leave the tank alone for a year and let it mature itself into something resembling a biome. This works best. :)
I've currently been feeding fish like normal (maybe a little less then normal because the ammonia i didnt want to contribute too much more)
I think in terms of changing anything it will be a while as i have (i think) got to many fish for the size of tank (will be upgrading in a few months)

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came here to rip you a new one but I think you’ve beaten yourself enough. Get some live rock or bacteria to speed things up! Good luck buddy hang in there

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 42 26.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 31 19.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 29 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back