Please critique light mount design

Zach W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I am attempting to design a light mount for one of my potential lighting solutions for a new tank upgrade. I am planning to make a light mount out of aluminum t-slot 8020, utilizing both 2"x1" and 1"x1" sections of 8020. This will need to support ~45lbs of lights (2 Orphek V4 and 2 OR2 120 bars). I dont have any fancy design software so bare with the powerpoint mock up. Also I am unsure on what to use for the cross bar piece that connects all of the lights to the top mounting rail. This picture is what I want to build upon, but the person never responded to my questions about the pieces used. Any suggestions would be greatly welcomed!
Light mount.JPG

1582731310466.png

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks pretty nice, the only thing I see as a possible issue is single mount. IMO two mounts for stability.

OP
OP
Zach W

Zach W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks pretty nice, the only thing I see as a possible issue is single mount. IMO two mounts for stability.
Yeah that is definitely a concern. Visually I would much rather a single mount, and was hoping the 45 degree brace with the 2"x1" 8020 would suffice. Also a double brace for tightening at the bottom. Unsure if that will be enough or not though

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use two mounts as well because of the length of the lever arm you have created on the center joint if you bump it.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would center one over each light.

The new one looks perfect to me.

I don't know how you work with that stuff but my only other suggestion is to shorten the main bar across the top. The ends that stick out beyond the lights are just excess weight.

OP
OP
Zach W

Zach W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would center one over each light.

The new one looks perfect to me.

I don't know how you work with that stuff but my only other suggestion is to shorten the main bar across the top. The ends that stick out beyond the lights are just excess weight.
Good suggestion, I will shorten that as well. Thank you!

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bar spanning the wall mounted rack wouldn't be a terrible idea if for some reason the mounting screws fail or loosen over time. Set it so that it hits the mounts before the rail or lights would hit the tank.

Of course that's just the part of me that used to have to use this stuff for industrial automation... but pumps and such do impart vibration.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back