PLEASE HELP, 1 year old tank

toddb93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some help/advice with my mixed reef tank. Over the last month and a half I have been struggling with diatoms and cyano outbreaks, and the one I’m currently in right now is not getting better. This tank is exactly 1 year old and this is the first issue it’s having. Over the last year I really have not changed a single thing besides using kalkwasser about 3 months ago. The tank is a 38 gallon AIO mixed reef. Current water stats are as follows:
Phosphate: .09 (I know a little high)
Nitrate: hovers around 5ppm
Nitrite: reading 0
Alk: 8.2
Calcium: 450s

I believe this started due to a spike in the nitrate and phosphate but I truly have no idea how this occurred as I haven’t added any livestock or changed feeding habits in the last 5-6 months. Due to it being a smaller AIO tank, I am a little limited on space to do things like a refugium. Please any advice would be greatly appreciated on how to control the phosphate and nitrate levels in a fairly natural manner. I just recently did a 30% water change but not sure if that will help.

Thank you in advance!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looking for some help/advice with my mixed reef tank. Over the last month and a half I have been struggling with diatoms and cyano outbreaks, and the one I’m currently in right now is not getting better. This tank is exactly 1 year old and this is the first issue it’s having. Over the last year I really have not changed a single thing besides using kalkwasser about 3 months ago. The tank is a 38 gallon AIO mixed reef. Current water stats are as follows:
Phosphate: .09 (I know a little high)
Nitrate: hovers around 5ppm
Nitrite: reading 0
Alk: 8.2
Calcium: 450s

I believe this started due to a spike in the nitrate and phosphate but I truly have no idea how this occurred as I haven’t added any livestock or changed feeding habits in the last 5-6 months. Due to it being a smaller AIO tank, I am a little limited on space to do things like a refugium. Please any advice would be greatly appreciated on how to control the phosphate and nitrate levels in a fairly natural manner. I just recently did a 30% water change but not sure if that will help.

Thank you in advance!
Can you post pics of tank under white lighting ?
Is tank at or near a window?

As for causes of cyano, see if any of these apply:
- Protein skimmer which fills water with tiny air bubbles. As bubbles form from the reaction chamber, dissolved organic compound molecules stick to them. Foam forms at the surface of the water and is then transferred to a collection cup, where it rests as skimmate. When the protein skimmer does not output the best efficiency or you do not have the suitable protein skimmer to cover the tank, the air bubbles created by the skimmer might be insufficient. And this insufficiency of air bubbles can trigger the cyano to thrive.
- Overstocking / overfeeding, your aquarium with nutrients is often the culprit of a cyano bloom
- Adding live rock that isn’t completely cured which acts like a breeding ground for red slime algae
- If you don’t change your water with enough frequency, you’ll soon have a brightly colored red slime algae bloom. Regular water changes dilute nutrients that feed cyanobacteria and keeps your tank clear
- Using a water source with nitrates or phosphates is like rolling out the welcome mat for cyano. Tap water is an example
- Inadequate water flow, or movement, is a leading cause of cyano blooms. Slow moving water combined with excess dissolved nutrients is a recipe for pervasive red slime algae development

I recommend to reduce white light intensity or even turn them off for 3-5 days. Add liquid bacteria daily for a week during the day at 1.5ml per 10 gallons. Add Hydrogen peroxide at night at 1ml per 10 gallons. Add a pouch of chemipure Elite which will balance phos and nitrate and keep them in check.

After the 5 days, add a few snails such as cerith, margarita, astrea and nassarius plus 6-8 blue leg hermits to take control.

OP
OP
toddb93

toddb93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post pics of tank under white lighting ?
Is tank at or near a window?

As for causes of cyano, see if any of these apply:
- Protein skimmer which fills water with tiny air bubbles. As bubbles form from the reaction chamber, dissolved organic compound molecules stick to them. Foam forms at the surface of the water and is then transferred to a collection cup, where it rests as skimmate. When the protein skimmer does not output the best efficiency or you do not have the suitable protein skimmer to cover the tank, the air bubbles created by the skimmer might be insufficient. And this insufficiency of air bubbles can trigger the cyano to thrive.
- Overstocking / overfeeding, your aquarium with nutrients is often the culprit of a cyano bloom
- Adding live rock that isn’t completely cured which acts like a breeding ground for red slime algae
- If you don’t change your water with enough frequency, you’ll soon have a brightly colored red slime algae bloom. Regular water changes dilute nutrients that feed cyanobacteria and keeps your tank clear
- Using a water source with nitrates or phosphates is like rolling out the welcome mat for cyano. Tap water is an example
- Inadequate water flow, or movement, is a leading cause of cyano blooms. Slow moving water combined with excess dissolved nutrients is a recipe for pervasive red slime algae development

I recommend to reduce white light intensity or even turn them off for 3-5 days. Add liquid bacteria daily for a week during the day at 1.5ml per 10 gallons. Add Hydrogen peroxide at night at 1ml per 10 gallons. Add a pouch of chemipure Elite which will balance phos and nitrate and keep them in check.

After the 5 days, add a few snails such as cerith, margarita, astrea and nassarius plus 6-8 blue leg hermits to take control.
Thank you vetteguy, unfortunately I do not have a very recent pic of the tank with the lights on. But to answer your question, tank isn’t near any windows. I really appreciate you taking the time to give such a detailed response, and I will be giving this a shot. For the last year I have been doing a 10% weekly water change.

Thank you again!

Attached a pic of the tank right before this happened.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 58 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 10.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%

Back