please help, i am clueless

Ennvi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea what im doing with lights, please give me the 5 year old treatment. I don't know what to look for at all and research has just made me more confused :/

I have a 40 gal bowfront tank, keeping fish and coral. I want a light that has a sunrise/sunset timer. what am I looking for? I want to have anemones but im nervous about the lights and feel dumb. ty in advance :,)

RobW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 30 gallon long tank. I run 3 kessil a80's... the tuna blues. I also have a kessil controller for the lights. My lights come on at 11 a.m. and go off at 10 p.m. you can change color temp with kessils. 3 lights, 3 mounts and a controller will run you around 550.00

BigCalhouna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could look into AI primes. They are Bluetooth accessible so you can set up the whole system from your phone!

RobW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one Colorado sunburst bubble tip anemone in the tank for the clowns. And various types of corals. They like the lights.

Reef_dachs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and welcome!
The AI Primes HD have worked very well on my 36 gallon bow front. I have 2 of them on the flexible mounts.
The lights are easy to control from the app on your phone. They do not have a pre-set for sunrise/sunset but the app does allow you to select the times you want your lights on and the ramp up/down times. The AI website also has many lighting schedules to download if you want to begin with something preliminary.

RobW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea what im doing with lights, please give me the 5 year old treatment. I don't know what to look for at all and research has just made me more confused :/

I have a 40 gal bowfront tank, keeping fish and coral. I want a light that has a sunrise/sunset timer. what am I looking for? I want to have anemones but im nervous about the lights and feel dumb. ty in advance :,)
What lights do you currently have?

OP
OP
Ennvi

Ennvi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What lights do you currently have?
right now they're nothing special, its finnex HC Planted+. the lights are all customized of course because the default is set up for freshwater. it works well for most coral and the fish all act happy, but I always kill anemone, and the guy at my lfs said I need better lighting to sustain em.

I dont get it cos my tank looks really bright and i cant imagine it needs brighter

RobW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
right now they're nothing special, its finnex HC Planted+. the lights are all customized of course because the default is set up for freshwater. it works well for most coral and the fish all act happy, but I always kill anemone, and the guy at my lfs said I need better lighting to sustain em.

I dont get it cos my tank looks really bright and i cant imagine it needs brighter
You'd actually be surprised how bright your lights can be. Most times its the color temperature. Most corals and anemones rely on a certain color spectrum to promote growth. You could have a ton of the wrong color light and just be really successful at growing nuisance algae.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ai Prime or Ai Hydra 26 will do wonders for you.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 22 81.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back