Please help I had a fish die I think it’s only beginning

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@4FordFamily , @HotRocks , any ideas? I tagged you all because of the rubbing on the sand and rocks.

@Bradsreeftank21 , you need to try and find a way to lower the tank temp. I do believe that the higher the tank, the lower the amount of oxygen the water is capable of holding. Where do you live? The reason i ask is that, is something causing the temp rise, or is it your location, and thus, you need a means to lower your tank temp, aka, a chiller or fan.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Need pics if overall tank and occupants
Verify tank temp, salinity and ammonia level

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey my tanks been running for 4 months, my fish all seemed to be ok but I did notice my clown tang has been swimming very fast around the tank at night and sometimes he will go on his side to rub the sand or a rock. All my fish were fine today but randomly I could not find my black clownfish, a couple hours later I found him dead in the rocks. My other clownfish seems to be breathing heavy and it looks like his face is turning whitish ( could just be from lights changing at night) I pulled the dead clownfish out and here is a photo on him. What could this be from literally all parameters are great and corals are doing great as well!

0EA223BD-6A60-4B8B-B96C-7C99F62D28E1.jpeg
I wouldn’t spend too much time on the water quality angle. Other than being a bit warm, if the water was off, your inverts would almost always show issues before the fish. When the fish die first, start thinking disease. One person mentioned giving the deceased clown a FW dip to look for flukes...great idea, but they have to be fresh. That said, the fish symptoms don’t point to an obvious disease. Can you lower the tank temp be maybe 3 degrees?
Jay

OP
OP
B

Bradsreeftank21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for commenting! My tank temp has always been high, I’m not sure what’s causing it because my house is 69. My other clown fish I was breathing heavy last night died this morning. Now it looks like my Anthis is acting strange and sitting on the sand bed behind the rocks. Whatever this disease is it’s literally taking the fish one by one

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for commenting! My tank temp has always been high, I’m not sure what’s causing it because my house is 69. My other clown fish I was breathing heavy last night died this morning. Now it looks like my Anthis is acting strange and sitting on the sand bed behind the rocks. Whatever this disease is it’s literally taking the fish one by one
If you can catch it, try a FW dip on the anthias to rule out flukes. Can you pull the fish to a quarantine system?

Jay

Aclman88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

pumps and power heads give off heat while operating. Have you ruled out that your heater isnt malfunctioning? A small fan should be able todrop the tank temp a few degrees

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surface agitation will help cool the water temperature by gas exchange and help oxygenate the water. Point a power head towards the surface. Point a small fan towards the surface too.. Also check if your heater is broken

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I keep my tanks in the 77-78 temperature range.

As to why they temp is so high, and enclosed cabinet (boy... a full tank shot would be helpful) will retain heat in the sump area, warming its water and bringing up the overall tank temp.

If in fact you have an enclosed cabinet, I would suggest opening the doors and pointing a fan at the open cabinet.

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah there’s definitely disease happening here. The fish scraping against rocks and substrate is a red flag big enough that even I caught it. And I’ve been in the hobby for a year. The tank running a little warm is not going to make a difference if brook, velvet, or flukes are present. Neither will bringing the temp down.

Texas Rick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temp shouldn’t be a problem. Even though it’s not ideal for them.
Here, do you see your fish go to the top and act like they are getting oxygen or spend there time at the top of the tank?
My thoughts are either lack of oxygen or Ammonia.
I have a clown fish, when I first got him. Would swim on top of the tank non stop. Back and forth, back and forth. Since then, about a week later. I bought a air pump and small stones to add oxygen to the water. It calmed him down a little but not much. A week after that, I bought another clownfish. At that time, the new clown fish actually calmed the other clownfish that was swimming nonstop. A year later, even to this day, he wants to swim or get out of place again. But I can see that the other clown fish would put him in his place or calm him down. He would chase him (or her but I think it’s a him) and give him 2 lashes and calm him down. It’s funny because as soon as he gets out of place. Here comes the other clownfish to calm it down. He knows best, he doesn’t want a beating from his wife. Haha
Ever since then, I’ve added a skimmer and removed the bubbles. It has helped to oxygenate the water.

709D9B6D-38DB-47DE-9C01-50226503B88B.jpeg

45bravo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm with a lot of the others on your tank temp. That's pretty high, the higher the water temp the less oxygen in the water. That PH is kinda low too, and you have to remember its even lower at night. Opening the windows for a bit will make it come up. Is the surface of you water rolling? That's where your oxygen transfer happens, the skimmer also helps with this a lot, as well as the PH, so I'd hate to see what it is if the skimmer was off.

That temp being higher will also increase how fast parasites reproduce and go though their life cycle, so if it is indeed a parasite at the root of this all they are multiplying more rapidly.

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temp is a little high... in my opinion sounds like flukes from description.

Do you have a QT tank? If so I would get all the remainder fish into that for closer observation.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, he didn't kill a clown fish with temp at 81 or ph at 7.7-8.1
What can kill fish: Ammonia, total lack or circulation , disease.

I don't think that is what people are suggesting. And I agree with you, temp and pH are likely not the cause. But they may be factors in a bigger issue and can not be ignored.

All this being said, I am inclined to go with disease.

Perhaps I missed it, but I have not read anything in the thread from the OP about quarantining.

I'm going to speculate that at some point, the OP placed a new fish directly into the DT without QT.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, is it just me that thinks that the clown looks chewed?
You mention the clown tang, what size tank is it or is tang a typo.
Your apex shows a direct shift as temp went up so did ph, as mentioned lots above you need oxygen in there, do you a corresponding orp trace?
Sorry for your lose.

proxy001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, is it just me that thinks that the clown looks chewed?
You mention the clown tang, what size tank is it or is tang a typo.
Your apex shows a direct shift as temp went up so did ph, as mentioned lots above you need oxygen in there, do you a corresponding orp trace?
Sorry for your lose.
agreed. powerhead?

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why this obsession with flukes?
There are stickies in the disease section which outline treatment for velvet.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back