Please help ID this coral I got for free please?

maddieb

New Member
View Badges
Joined
May 25, 2025
Messages
8
Reaction score
23
Location
Queensland
What state or country do you live in
Australia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this frag from an online seller and they didn’t say what the name of it was. Does anyone know what it is called I’ve tried finding it myself with no luck it just says it’s a Monti
IMG_4799.jpeg
it’s the red one in the middle. Any help would be appreciated 😃 it also has little tentacles that come out in the night
IMG_4802.jpeg
 
Looks like a chalice. You might need to move it as those sweeper tentacles will sting other corals they come into contact with.
 
Yeah I thought Monti didn’t sound right. And wonderful I will be moving it today any idea where I should place it? This is the current set up.
IMG_4797.jpeg
 
Yeah I thought Monti didn’t sound right. And wonderful I will be moving it today any idea where I should place it? This is the current set up.
IMG_4797.jpeg
Generally (not all) chalice corals prefer to be low down in the tank, they will encrust whatever you grow them on.

I have a similar red chalice that sits about mid tank on some live rock that it's slowly encrusting. But it gets a fair amount of shading from the SPS higher.
 
That's either gonna be a favia or acan. Chalice coral are always thin like Monti cap, growing in a plating form. This is an encrusting coral.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 15 28.8%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 34.6%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.8%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.8%

New Posts

Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new