Please help - identify disease

Victor.f

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This disease is decimating my fishes. It started with a wrasse then 6 lyretail anthias, another wrasse, and now I'm seeing it on my first clownfish. All within less than a week. All the rest of the fishes are in a QT now. I've just started dosing kanaplex and metroplex. What disease could this be and what can I do? Please help.

20220112_080243.jpg 20220112_080233.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This disease is decimating my fishes. It started with a wrasse then 6 lyretail anthias, another wrasse, and now I'm seeing it on my first clownfish. All within less than a week. All the rest of the fishes are in a QT now. I've just started dosing kanaplex and metroplex. What disease could this be and what can I do? Please help.

20220112_080243.jpg 20220112_080233.jpg

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

You may have multiple issues going on. This wrasse may have had Uronema, and then, it has a cloudy eye which would be another problem. Lyretail anthias are also prone to Uronema, but clownfish are not. In addition, Uronema is not super contagious, and you usually see it in newly purchased fish.

We need more background information though - how many and what fish are left, info about the tank, etc. Important info to know is listed in this post:

Jay Hemdal

OP
OP
V

Victor.f

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your reply. You are correct. The fish that had the disease were newly purchased. I immediately put them in the 60 gallon QT with my other fish (3x clowns, 4x damsels 2x cardinal, 3x fire fish, and a dwarf angel). The QT has been established over a year as it was an old tank now turned into a QT with live rock as I'm currently cycling a larger new tank. The disease killed the lyretails and the first wrasse within a week of their arrival. Then the second wrasse died a few days later (seen in pic). So I think it came with them. The water parameters seems fine and the QT has established bacteria. Here is a picture of my clown now that developing spots. I've been dosing kanaplex since Sunday and metroplex since Tuesday. And I just dosed rally pro last night. But nothing seems to work. I also put an airstone in the QT for oxygen. I don't know what to do next. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20220113_080922.jpg
    20220113_080922.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 18

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your reply. You are correct. The fish that had the disease were newly purchased. I immediately put them in the 60 gallon QT with my other fish (3x clowns, 4x damsels 2x cardinal, 3x fire fish, and a dwarf angel). The QT has been established over a year as it was an old tank now turned into a QT with live rock as I'm currently cycling a larger new tank. The disease killed the lyretails and the first wrasse within a week of their arrival. Then the second wrasse died a few days later (seen in pic). So I think it came with them. The water parameters seems fine and the QT has established bacteria. Here is a picture of my clown now that developing spots. I've been dosing kanaplex since Sunday and metroplex since Tuesday. And I just dosed rally pro last night. But nothing seems to work. I also put an airstone in the QT for oxygen. I don't know what to do next. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Those two brown lesions do look bacterial, so kanaplex would be a good thing to use for that.
I think there may have been an underlying protozoan issue here - did you see any rapid breathing?
Jay

OP
OP
V

Victor.f

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I started the kanaplex on sunday. At that point my clown did not have any symptoms of the disease. I Just noticed the symptoms on the clown on tuesday. And yes, he does appear to have rapid breathing, just like the other fish who have died. I have copper too, but have not dosed that yet.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I started the kanaplex on sunday. At that point my clown did not have any symptoms of the disease. I Just noticed the symptoms on the clown on tuesday. And yes, he does appear to have rapid breathing, just like the other fish who have died. I have copper too, but have not dosed that yet.

You might consider dosing the copper, but it may be too late, or it may not be an accurate treatment, too many unknowns here I'm afraid.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone tell me what this is and treatment program
IMG_20220207_211712.jpg
IMG_20220207_211710.jpg
IMG_20220207_211705.jpg
IMG_20220207_211658.jpg
IMG_20220207_211705.jpg
IMG_20220207_211658.jpg
Off the cuff, I’d say that is a bacterial disease like furunculosis.
How did it start, and how long has it had it?
Do you have any antibiotics handy?
Jay

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 34 30.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 29 25.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 22.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 21.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back