Lyretail Anthias - Diagnosis

jacksoje00

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All, please take a look at the two pics of just one of my Lyretail Anthias harem. The harem was added to the DT about 5 days ago and this is the only one that is displaying 2 wide light colored "bars" across the side of the fish. These bars are only on one side. Luckily the fish is eating well, but just not as healthy looking as the rest of the harem. The rest of the harem looks great and is not bullying it.

TIA for your help and please let me know if you need additional info.

IMG_0499.jpg IMG_0500.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello All, please take a look at the two pics of just one of my Lyretail Anthias harem. The harem was added to the DT about 5 days ago and this is the only one that is displaying 2 wide light colored "bars" across the side of the fish. These bars are only on one side. Luckily the fish is eating well, but just not as healthy looking as the rest of the harem. The rest of the harem looks great and is not bullying it.

TIA for your help and please let me know if you need additional info.

IMG_0499.jpg IMG_0500.jpg
This fish has uronema and may be be past treatment stage
It’s often triggered by low salinity, poor water quality and uneaten food/ waste left over
You can try ruby rally pro and see if recovers/responds

OP
OP
jacksoje00

jacksoje00

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My SG is 1.025, PO4: .07, Nitrate: .25 These parameters are verified using refractometer, Hanna and I recently received matching ICP test results.

The tank has been up and running for about a year and all other fish are very healthy. Any chance this could spread to other fish?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My SG is 1.025, PO4: .07, Nitrate: .25 These parameters are verified using refractometer, Hanna and I recently received matching ICP test results.

The tank has been up and running for about a year and all other fish are very healthy. Any chance this could spread to other fish?
It can but its not as likely as other illnesses. There may be unmeasured 'stuff' in your water like organics. Uronema is different than Ich or velvet - which both require a fish host. Uronema can survive on uneaten food, etc - and cause sporadic infections. It may be that this one fish was not as healthy as the others.

OP
OP
jacksoje00

jacksoje00

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's exactly my thoughts - not as healthy as the others. I'll keep an eye on things and see how it goes. Thanks again for both of your replies.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's exactly my thoughts - not as healthy as the others. I'll keep an eye on things and see how it goes. Thanks again for both of your replies.

As said, that is most likely Uronema. It really isn't treatable when it is inter-cellular like that in anthias. It also isn't contagious, but other fish in the same group could be carrying it.

Here is an article I wrote some time ago about it:

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back