Please Help Me Get Rid of Cyano

Reefer37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just so tired of it and feel like I'm at my whits end. It's been a long 4 month battle and I've tried next to everything except chemical, which I rather just not do. I know I've read plenty of raving review on Chemiclean and others, but many of those just have the problem come right back after a couple months. I've tried adjusting lighting, doing multiple blackout periods, reducing feeding, increasing water changes, and every time, within a 2/3 week period, I'm back where I've started. I've read just about every thread on here on ways to fix the problem and the general consensus is this stuff will live as long as there is light. Well, great then I guess I'll just go lightless and get rid of all my corals. :rolleyes:
But seriously, that's where I'm at with it.

Just a little history on the tank:
A year old JBJ45
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 15
Cal: 400
Alk: 8.5
Mag: 1290
Phosphate: .003-.006 range

Seriously, I'm not sure what else to do. The only thing I have not tried is doing a refugium and running macro algae. Mostly because it's an AIO and the back chambers is too small to actually grow algae successfully and also I'm not sure if doing all that, spending all that money setting one up and all that up will even fix my problem.

Any suggestions or experience to help?

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a very similar situation after battling dinos...cyano everywhere! I tried everything for about 6-8 months and couldn't get it controlled for more than a few days.

I have in to chemi-clean... clean since! It will help with your sanity. Then after it's gone, work on good husbandry and nutrient control to keep it from coming back.

I'm getting a little back now, but i can slow it by turning off my refugium grow light for a week or so... go figure!!

NY_Sea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used chemi clean or red slime remover in the past and they really worked. Inverts are sensitive to it but I have done this will full reef tanks with no casualties. The key is to increase oxygen (air stone) and do Some water changes a couple days later after it has had a chance to work its magiic.

Seems like you did all the right steps. I’d continue. but one thing you didn’t mention was flow. Heavy heavy flow on the rock helps.

Another suggestion is to add a blue tuxedo urchin or a Mithras crab or both . Your rock will be cleaner than ever. I added them about a month after the chemi clean treatment followed by some good water changes.
Also keep nitrates and phosphates as low as possible and keep magnesium up.

I used all of the above strategies and beat CYANO a couple of times!

you could also try a refugium or turf scrubber

Have Fun!

Reefer5640

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to chemiclean. I understand not wanting to use it but the stuff works miracles. Last time I used it my tank was completely covered, loosing corals, tried all kinds of stuff. If nothing else at least you’ll get a break from it @Idoc says. You may not even see it come back if you can get the initial problem resolved. I know a couple guys that use it a few times a year as a prophylactic measure

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just so tired of it and feel like I'm at my whits end. It's been a long 4 month battle and I've tried next to everything except chemical, which I rather just not do. I know I've read plenty of raving review on Chemiclean and others, but many of those just have the problem come right back after a couple months. I've tried adjusting lighting, doing multiple blackout periods, reducing feeding, increasing water changes, and every time, within a 2/3 week period, I'm back where I've started. I've read just about every thread on here on ways to fix the problem and the general consensus is this stuff will live as long as there is light. Well, great then I guess I'll just go lightless and get rid of all my corals. :rolleyes:
But seriously, that's where I'm at with it.

Just a little history on the tank:
A year old JBJ45
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 15
Cal: 400
Alk: 8.5
Mag: 1290
Phosphate: .003-.006 range

Seriously, I'm not sure what else to do. The only thing I have not tried is doing a refugium and running macro algae. Mostly because it's an AIO and the back chambers is too small to actually grow algae successfully and also I'm not sure if doing all that, spending all that money setting one up and all that up will even fix my problem.

Any suggestions or experience to help?
Presume you use RODI water? People have had luck with UV.

OP
OP
Reefer37

Reefer37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used chemi clean or red slime remover in the past and they really worked. Inverts are sensitive to it but I have done this will full reef tanks with no casualties. The key is to increase oxygen (air stone) and do Some water changes a couple days later after it has had a chance to work its magiic.

Seems like you did all the right steps. I’d continue. but one thing you didn’t mention was flow. Heavy heavy flow on the rock helps.

Another suggestion is to add a blue tuxedo urchin or a Mithras crab or both . Your rock will be cleaner than ever. I added them about a month after the chemi clean treatment followed by some good water changes.
Also keep nitrates and phosphates as low as possible and keep magnesium up.

I used all of the above strategies and beat CYANO a couple of times!

you could also try a refugium or turf scrubber

Have Fun!
Okay, maybe I'll do Chemiclean, I've definitely heard a lot of great things and I know people have had success with it.

In regards to flow, I keep two Jebao WP-10s on random mode and they keep flow pretty moving in the tank.

I've thought about urchin, but just really rather not deal with corals going for a ride and my emerald crab is next to useless with my algae, he rather just eat any spare food in the tank than touch algae. Seriously, I don't think he's touched a single bubble algae since getting him. Lol

Reefer5640

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A UV is a great way to help manage it like @JGT suggested if you don’t have one already. I didn’t run UV for years but ever since getting one, but I won’t ever set a tank up without it now.

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a cyano problem emerging as well... BRS just released a video on this. A few points I took:
-Keep maintenance up
-Add a cocktail of bacteria and phytoplankton to promote biodiversity
-If the above doesn't work, Chemiclean does .

Many users report that Chemiclean is often followed by dinoflagellates (a much worse evil). I'd avoid Chemiclean and try the above... and maybe add a UV. No drawback to them, just cost and awkward setup.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back