Please help me identify this

Kyle Rinker

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 15, 2017
Messages
139
Reaction score
149
What state or country do you live in
Indiana
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this encrusted rock from someone locally for a few bucks. When I bought it I assumed it was a montipora but I'm not 100% sure on the identification. At first I thought it was a montipora digitata but I'm not so sure. There are obvious fingers and white ends around where it is growing, but it is smooth as a baby's butt with no discernible polyps. It is very hard like a montipora tends to be and can crack and crumble fairly easily. It came from a tank that has been poorly maintained with presumably sky high nutrient levels. Any ideas?

20170224_141148.jpg


2017-02-24 19.45.36.jpg
 
I got this encrusted rock from someone locally for a few bucks. When I bought it I assumed it was a montipora but I'm not 100% sure on the identification. At first I thought it was a montipora digitata but I'm not so sure. There are obvious fingers and white ends around where it is growing, but it is smooth as a baby's butt with no discernible polyps. It is very hard like a montipora tends to be and can crack and crumble fairly easily. It came from a tank that has been poorly maintained with presumably sky high nutrient levels. Any ideas?

20170224_141148.jpg


2017-02-24 19.45.36.jpg
Isnt this a blue ridge coral?
 
No, it's hard to see in the picture. It's sort of purple.
 
You know, it could be a Blue Ridge. It's easy to see why it could be confused with an SPS. The only thing is I have not seen any polyps on it yet. But then again, it's only been in my tank for about 4 days.
 
You know, it could be a Blue Ridge. It's easy to see why it could be confused with an SPS. The only thing is I have not seen any polyps on it yet. But then again, it's only been in my tank for about 4 days.
Blue ridge coral every so often retracts its polyps to shed skin. Maybe give it some high flow and a week or 2 to see. Pretty neat coral
 
Yes it does make sense. It has a shiny surface over the top of it now which kind of resembles a leather coral when it's getting ready to shed. I've already got nearly 20,000 gallons per hour of flow in my 125, so I think I'm all set for that :-). Thanks.
 
I have one it is for sure a Heliopora which is actually a soft coral that makes a stony skeleton. It is the only softy to do this and as far as I know the only coral period to make a blue skeleton. Mine is purple in color with bluefish ridges. Polyps will stay retracted for a few days at times.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 1 16.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new