PLEASE HELP. Neptune Power Issue

Matt_Mc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone
We had about an hour long power outage this afternoon and when power came back on my EB8 outlets no longer worked. The indicator lights come on but they are not sourcing any voltage. My Neptune system is plugged into a TRIPP-LITE power bar, All of the outlets on the power bar are working correctly. My apex is in alarm because the system is not seeing any power consumption. I have put in a service ticket with Neptune and hope to hear back to them tomorrow when they open.

Do you all have any suggestions?

Thanks for your help

Matt

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds like the common EB832 internal 12v power supply failure that causes no power at the outlets.

That failure is somewhat common on older EB832s and can be fixed inexpensively. I do a couple of these repairs for people every week. Do you have any experience with soldering?

OP
OP
Matt_Mc

Matt_Mc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started looking at other threads and realized that I don’t have the older version of Neptune. I have the gray and orange unit. I apologize for the confusion.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started looking at other threads and realized that I don’t have the older version of Neptune. I have the gray and orange unit. I apologize for the confusion.

I assumed you had a EB832 (Newer gray/orange model), because the older EB8 black ones never have problems haha.

Here is a document I created that can help diagnose a failed EB832 12v power supply and has instructions to repair it with a higher quality Meanwell power supply. You can alternatively install an original-style power supply available on Amazon.

How to identify a bad EB832 12v PSU without opening it:
  1. Outlets do not output 120v power to devices.
  2. LED outlet indicator’s function and change status correctly when plugged into Apex and outlet state changed ON/OFF.
  3. There are no audible “Clicks” when EB832 is plugged in, or outlet state changed in Fusion.
  4. The EB832 must *NOT* have an "Intertek" label on the back.
How to identify a bad EB832 12v PSU after opening it:
  1. Open top & plug in power bar (carefully, there is exposed 120v) . Visually check if there is red LED on the 12v PSU. If there is no LED, the PSU is bad.
  2. Check using a multimeter if there is 12v on the output of the 12v PSU (Don't short anything!)
  3. Unplug the bar, and do a general lookover to confirm there are no burnt or corroded components.

Attachments

• EB832 MeanWell Upgrade v1.1.pdf
    8.3 MB · Views: 56
Last edited:

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No harm in trying one of the repair kits but speaking from experience it was a waste of money and at least in my case did not fix the issue and I ended up buying a new one rather begrudgingly I might add. After closer examination it looked like components on a circuit board were fried which I missed before I bought the kit and a replacement fan.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I opened it, looked at it, then went on eBay and bought an old school EB8 + a 1 link module rather than trying to repair it. I admit it isn’t a hard repair. I’m just lazy.

I have 1 eb832 but i use 4 EB8 and Eb4 modules for anything I care about.

keep in mind the 1link module/eb832 may have more 24v ports but you have to be careful. Basically one COR-15 pump uses up the entire bandwidth. You can absolutely overload them easily.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re the Man TheHarold! Thank you for your help.

Matt

No problem. First reach out to Neptune support of course, but be assured that the repair can be as cheap as $8 for a replacement low-quality power supply from Amazon, or you can upgrade to a better power supply to prevent this from happening again. I've repaired 75+ EB832s this year for that issue. It is particularly common in our state (Florida) that has power flickers and brownouts.

Newer EB832s since 2021 have been improved and do not have this problem.

OP
OP
Matt_Mc

Matt_Mc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem. First reach out to Neptune support of course, but be assured that the repair can be as cheap as $8 for a replacement low-quality power supply from Amazon, or you can upgrade to a better power supply to prevent this from happening again. I've repaired 75+ EB832s this year for that issue. It is particularly common in our state (Florida) that has power flickers and brownouts.

Newer EB832s since 2021 have been improved and do not have this problem.
TheHarold
I purchased the 12v power supply with the exact same part number but did not receive one that fits my board. Do you have any other suggestions? If you repair them as a service would you mind providing pricing to replace the component?

Thanks again
Matt

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TheHarold
I purchased the 12v power supply with the exact same part number but did not receive one that fits my board. Do you have any other suggestions? If you repair them as a service would you mind providing pricing to replace the component?

Thanks again
Matt

Did you read the document or order from my link? Using the Meanwell requires a small adapter PCB to make it fit to the EB832. I’ll message you.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back