Please help sea horse

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SHE DIDNT MAKE IT it like I said it wasn’t a big deal she was free the store wasn’t doing anything I watched her at the store for a day before I asked to take her I gave her small dose of stress meds and an air pump with algae there was never a plan to put her in my main tank with the clowns and inverts I said I would work out the details later as for the hostility I was looking for med recommendations and how to get her more active to eat if she was already to far gone there was no point in trying to prep her for my tank so I got a bucket an asked the guy to give me more water that she was already in I guess I need to type every little detail before asking just everybody relax the real killer was the dummy that put her in with the super aggressive tangs
I am sorry that she didn't make it but you did what you could. Sadly lfs are not always knowledgeable about seahorses and how they differ from other marine fish.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s the deal.

You basically need to get the bucket set up as a hospital. That means you’ll be fighting ammonia.
The live rock and the macro algaes will definitely do that. But once the bucket is full of tank water you may want to change with some fresh water.

The temp thing isn’t so much about them being a temperate species. At reef temps bacteria will grow and ponies are highly susceptible to bacterial infections, so keeping temps in the 74-77 range does that and most run a UV in thier tanks.

The bigger challenge is to get the stress down and hospital clean.

If the ponie makes through that then you can adress both the feeding and the injury.

With luck the pony folks and @Humblefish may chime in more precise medication instructions.

The usual pony boards aren’t very active right now.

Couldn't they use a bucket that contained live rock and water from an established tank? Already being cycled, there wouldn't be any ammonia.

I'm thinking a water change to an established tank and saving the siphoned off water for the bucket.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn't they use a bucket that contained live rock and water from an established tank? Already being cycled, there wouldn't be any ammonia.

I'm thinking a water change to an established tank and saving the siphoned off water for the bucket.
Yes. I belive that was the instruction.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Live rock and mostly fresh made salt water would be even better. Some reef tanks have too much DOC for seahorses even though the reef does fine.

A seahorse can do fine for a short time in a 5 gallon bucket with some hitches, live rock and an open airline tube powered by an air pump. Daily 50% WCs are a must but that is only over 2 gallons of salt water which is not difficult. I have done this (minus the live rock) for a HT. I have (2)5 gallon buckets and I keep a brute can full of fresh made saltwater. I set up 1 bucket on day 1. On day 2 I set up the 2nd bucket and transfer the ailing seahorse, hitch and all and move the airline tube. The water is the same so no acclimation is necessary. Its all fresh made and new medication can be added daily. This has worked well for me without being overly labor intensive.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back