Please Help this Algae issue on my Reefer

MCooper

MCooper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been battling what I assume and have been told is hair algae in my 90 gallon display. --

-->Underneath in the sump I have a fuge that the chaeto doesn't seem to grow at all (wanted to make sure I mentioned this as may shine some light). Anyone know why this would happen?

The algae won't go away. I have added tons of critters and my water is testing ideal.
Brush it off and then it comes back. I have decreased feedings and still
It grows all over
Anyone have any thoughts or insight?

see photos below

OP
OP
MCooper

MCooper

MCooper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_7412.JPG

IMG_7410.JPG

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some great threads on here for treating gha !!

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that the CaribSea rock? I've had the same issues with that particular rock no matter the tank. I'm pretty sure it leaches something to fuel GHA growth. Might want to give Vibrant a try. I've had very good luck with it eradicating all GHA.

Fish Werx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your parameters reading exactly?
And you may want to follow my thread and @NCreefguy thread on this stuff. Someone else may weight in on it as well with recommendations. Sounds like if your chaeto isnt growing you may be running a low nutrient system trying to rid yourself of the algae. Is that correct?

OP
OP
MCooper

MCooper

MCooper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your parameters reading exactly?
And you may want to follow my thread and @NCreefguy thread on this stuff. Someone else may weight in on it as well with recommendations. Sounds like if your chaeto isnt growing you may be running a low nutrient system trying to rid yourself of the algae. Is that correct?

Chaeto has NEVER grown, super odd!

OP
OP
MCooper

MCooper

MCooper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that the CaribSea rock? I've had the same issues with that particular rock no matter the tank. I'm pretty sure it leaches something to fuel GHA growth. Might want to give Vibrant a try. I've had very good luck with it eradicating all GHA.

Yes, all CaribSea Life Rock

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the vibrant. It worked good in my tank Dr C. Took care of the little bit of GHA I was having and worked Wonders on keeping the glass fairly clean of algae. It also took care of about a coin purse sized group of bubble algae that I had.

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, all CaribSea Life Rock
Seems that the Carib sea rock has some mixed reviews. I found no issues with the rock or shelf rock. All of my issues have been with their branch rock. No matter what tank I have added the branch rock too and there have been no algae issues prior to adding the rock I seem to get Hair algae issues on the branch rock no matter what. Vibrant seems to kill it and turn it grey but takes multiple doses. Some of my branch rock has crumbled and has spots of rust. Also if the branches are broken it almost seems like the center is a piece or actual branch tonga or possibly even aragonite molded to a branch shape. It is then surrounded by what appears to be concrete rolled in crumbled aragonite, shelles, sand and then painted purple. I've removed any of the pieces with rust and continue to dose vibrant once a week to keep the GHA under control. Overall I may just do away with the Carib sea rock.

OP
OP
MCooper

MCooper

MCooper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems that the Carib sea rock has some mixed reviews. I found no issues with the rock or shelf rock. All of my issues have been with their branch rock. No matter what tank I have added the branch rock too and there have been no algae issues prior to adding the rock I seem to get Hair algae issues on the branch rock no matter what. Vibrant seems to kill it and turn it grey but takes multiple doses. Some of my branch rock has crumbled and has spots of rust. Also if the branches are broken it almost seems like the center is a piece or actual branch tonga or possibly even aragonite molded to a branch shape. It is then surrounded by what appears to be concrete rolled in crumbled aragonite, shelles, sand and then painted purple. I've removed any of the pieces with rust and continue to dose vibrant once a week to keep the GHA under control. Overall I may just do away with the Carib sea rock.

Ouch. My ENTIRE tank is various types of the Carib sea rock

OP
OP
MCooper

MCooper

MCooper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it is the rock only though, as I have Hair Algae on frag plugs and corals as well?????

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it is the rock only though, as I have Hair Algae on frag plugs and corals as well?????
Understood. Just quoting my experienced with the Carib Sea rock. It seems to be the couple batches of branch rock I purchased from MD.

OP
OP
MCooper

MCooper

MCooper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understood. Just quoting my experienced with the Carib Sea rock. It seems to be the couple batches of branch rock I purchased from MD.
I do think the rock is certainly likely the main issue though, as you are not the only one to report this.
Appreciate your input.
I ordered the Vibrant just now, but still wish I knew why.

Any thoughts on my lack of chaeto growth?

fmp47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like Derbesia. I just started a 3 week treatment of fluconazole. Wish me luck.

FirstContact

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been in this hobby since 2006 and only cycled two tanks both with dry rock. The second was an upgrade with new dry rock. Each time during the first year and a half I removed all of the rock twice to get rid of algae. I put all the rock in a Rubbermaid bin or trash can with waste water from the tank and a couple of powerheads and cover it up for a week. Then I seem to be algae free for around 4-5 years.

Not an expert on algae, but I'm going with green hair algae on those pics.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 29 15.2%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 43 22.5%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 111 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back