Please help to identify the disease.

azimnitski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please help to identify the disease. New Naso Tang, arrived 3 days ago, QT. A day ago was fine, with some stress signs however - whitish spots from time to time. Today, developed big white spot close to tail. The spot is symmetrical on both sides. Stopped taking food.
Water parameters are fine, double checked.
See picture attached.
p.s. blue tang and Mandarin which are in the same QT are fine.

Screen Shot 2022-12-04 at 10.14.47 AM.png Screen Shot 2022-12-04 at 10.14.03 AM.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Please help to identify the disease. New Naso Tang, arrived 3 days ago, QT. A day ago was fine, with some stress signs however - whitish spots from time to time. Today, developed big white spot close to tail. The spot is symmetrical on both sides. Stopped taking food.
See picture attached.

Screen Shot 2022-12-04 at 10.14.47 AM.png Screen Shot 2022-12-04 at 10.14.03 AM.png
Referred to as thumb-print disease, its bacterial. Having many tangs and a lover of tangs, This guy in addition is quite thin suggesting poor diet and seeing start of lateral line disease suggests poor water quality.
Smaller tangs over the last year or more have seemed to be a challenge with overall health quality and refusing to eat after a few weeks.
Best bet is to start with fresh water in a quarantine tank and treat with Seachem kanaplex with added oxygen via an airstone. Marinating water quality with monitor of ammonia with a Reliable test kit will play a role in recovery
In a situation like this- I hate to say but " Hope for the best, yet expect the worse" as treatment at this point is a gamble.

OP
OP
azimnitski

azimnitski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Referred to as thumb-print disease, its bacterial. Having many tangs and a lover of tangs, This guy in addition is quite thin suggesting poor diet and seeing start of lateral line disease suggests poor water quality.
Smaller tangs over the last year or more have seemed to be a challenge with overall health quality and refusing to eat after a few weeks.
Best bet is to start with fresh water in a quarantine tank and treat with Seachem kanaplex with added oxygen via an airstone. Marinating water quality with monitor of ammonia with a Reliable test kit will play a role in recovery
In a situation like this- I hate to say but " Hope for the best, yet expect the worse" as treatment at this point is a gamble.
The fish in QT now. Going to go partial water change and already started aeration.
I guess Seachem kanaplex is the only choice however i don't have it right now, all is closed and I will be able to get it on Monday only. Will it make sense to do NeoPlex (i have it)?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The fish in QT now. Going to go partial water change and already started aeration.
I guess Seachem kanaplex is the only choice however i don't have it right now, all is closed and I will be able to get it on Monday only. Will it make sense to do NeoPlex (i have it)?
Maracyn 2 will also work

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See picture attached.

Just checking - it isn't breathing rapidly is it? If you post a short video (youtube links work) I can check that for you.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you
Oh, it is fast open mouthed breathing. That indicates either gill disease, a water quality issue or a systemic disease. Combined with the apparent bacterial disease, you may have difficulty saving this fish. I think it arrived to you with these issues.
Are all other fish in the tank ok?
Jay

OP
OP
azimnitski

azimnitski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you.
blue tang and Mandarin which are in the same QT are fine... at least right now.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
YES - EDIT - hit return too quickly - Neoplex (neomycin) - and Kanaplex (Kanamycin) - are closely related.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To me this fish is emaciated - i.e. starving - and has a bacterial infection - and probably more parasite issues. I would definitely try the neoplex if you have it - In a hospital tank. Best wishes! EDIT - and by the way - the reason I am not mentioning the parasites - is that the bacteria may kill it more quickly. Is the fish eating?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To me this fish is emaciated - i.e. starving - and has a bacterial infection - and probably more parasite issues. I would definitely try the neoplex if you have it - In a hospital tank. Best wishes! EDIT - and by the way - the reason I am not mentioning the parasites - is that the bacteria may kill it more quickly. Is the fish eating?
I do not think this is 'thumbprint disease'. EDIT - unless it's on both sides. To my recollection - this is a circular lesion - identical on both sides

OP
OP
azimnitski

azimnitski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It did not make it. I dosed Neoplex + aeration. The spot in 4-5 hours got 2 times bigger (half of the fish on both sides - not sure if it is OK to post here photo of the dead fish) and pour creature start showing all symptoms of suffocation. Very strong aeration i believe just added some time but did not solve the problem.
Two other QT guests - blue tang and mandarin are fine now, Both are eating, both active.
Thank you everyone for the help. I think if I noticed first signs earlier I would have better chances with NeoPlex.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It did not make it. I dosed Neoplex + aeration. The spot in 4-5 hours got 2 times bigger (half of the fish on both sides - not sure if it is OK to post here photo of the dead fish) and pour creature start showing all symptoms of suffocation. Very strong aeration i believe just added some time but did not solve the problem.
Two other QT guests - blue tang and mandarin are fine now, Both are eating, both active.
Thank you everyone for the help. I think if I noticed first signs earlier I would have better chances with NeoPlex.
It is probably a bacterial infection with rapid spread. And looking at the original picture - was in terrible condition?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 53.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.0%
Back