Please help Wally

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thank you! I went to three stores just now and they did not have any of the recommendations...
I bought Coppersafe by Fritz and Super Ich Cure by API.
they had nothing with formalin in it...

They also did not have a test for copper as I have read somewhere that I need to test copper level...

I am setting the hospital tank right now and will wait until tomorrow, there is a bigger fish store near by (but it was closed when I got there tonight) that might carry these products... I am placing Wally in the hospital tank tonight and see how that goes.
Thank you!!!
Not sure you need copper at this time as fish issue is not parasitical unless it is indeed protozoan. Seachem metroplex would be an alternative but fish needs to be eating as it would be added to food at .5gm which is a VERY TINY amount and not absorbed as kanaplex and others

OP
OP
anabechara

anabechara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found the super ich cure from api in the last smartpet I went!
So I am transferring Wally to a 5Gallon tank. And starting the treatment tonight. I realistically cannot do a 10G hospital tank and think about doing 100% water changes every third day. So the 5G will have to do. If more fosh get sock then I will try to do the 10G tank then.

So you think I can hold on the formalin?

I also have paraguard. Should I dose that too?

should I add some biomedia in the hospital tank from the DT for the ammonia? Or not really necessary?

someone in the previous comments said they have an article for QT tanks but I couldn't find it... (very technologically impaired) is there something else I can read to learn more about what I am doing here?

I am attaching another video with the lights off, maybe you can see Wally better and tell me anything else.

Again thank you!!!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I found the super ich cure from api in the last smartpet I went!
So I am transferring Wally to a 5Gallon tank. And starting the treatment tonight. I realistically cannot do a 10G hospital tank and think about doing 100% water changes every third day. So the 5G will have to do. If more fosh get sock then I will try to do the 10G tank then.

So you think I can hold on the formalin?

I also have paraguard. Should I dose that too?

should I add some biomedia in the hospital tank from the DT for the ammonia? Or not really necessary?

someone in the previous comments said they have an article for QT tanks but I couldn't find it... (very technologically impaired) is there something else I can read to learn more about what I am doing here?

I am attaching another video with the lights off, maybe you can see Wally better and tell me anything else.

Again thank you!!!
Biomedia helps and change water if/when ammonia climbs. Run an airstone during treatment

OP
OP
anabechara

anabechara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biomedia helps and change water if/when ammonia climbs. Run an airstone during treatment
I have a little return pump for the tank and will add the air stone as well.

I was putting my son to bed and it was kinda hectic for a second there I forgot to add the video.

Attachments

• IMG_2593.MOV
    77 MB

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a little return pump for the tank and will add the air stone as well.

I was putting my son to bed and it was kinda hectic for a second there I forgot to add the video.
What foods are you feeding ?
Will check back in the morning

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your troubles. As mentioned, this could possibly be velvet based on the heavy breathing. I would conduct a 5 minute FW to give the fish a head start on recovery. It will help for both brook and velvet.

Also cross utilizing water, equipment and media from DT would potential contaminate the QT.

OP
OP
anabechara

anabechara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What foods are you feeding ?
Will check back in the morning
I feed Hikari mysis shrimp, hikari omega enriched brine shrimp, hikari spirulina brine shrimp and another hikari brine shrimp that I lost the cover of... I mix all of those and feed them with it. The mix of the 4 types lasts me about 4-5 days.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I feed Hikari mysis shrimp, hikari omega enriched brine shrimp, hikari spirulina brine shrimp and another hikari brine shrimp that I lost the cover of... I mix all of those and feed them with it. The mix of the 4 types lasts me about 4-5 days.
That’s what I figured why I asked. I see white poop in video and those foods mimic internal issues

OP
OP
anabechara

anabechara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your troubles. As mentioned, this could possibly be velvet based on the heavy breathing. I would conduct a 5 minute FW to give the fish a head start on recovery. It will help for both brook and velvet.

Also cross utilizing water, equipment and media from DT would potential contaminate the QT.
Thank you. I thought about the contamination, but then I thought I would have to drip acclimate Wally to transfer her to the new tank..? And so since I am treating her anyway, I decided to just use water from the tank for now. My LFS guy said that was fine.

Also catching Wally was so so difficult that I decided to just plop in the tank right away as I figured he would be so out of breath after so much chasing...

Thank you!

OP
OP
anabechara

anabechara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I figured why I asked. I see white poop in video and those foods mimic internal issues
Gosh..! You think I am making my fish sick with the food???

I saw the white poop as well... and usually it is blackish...

OP
OP
anabechara

anabechara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: after a battle to catch Wally, she is in the hospital.
I dose the Super Ich Cure. Let's hope it helps her.
Thank you to all who helped me tonight!

Here she is my poor girl.

Attachments

• IMG_2594.MOV
    53.7 MB
Last edited:

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some clarification on meds:

API Super Ich cure is intended for fresh and salwater ich. However, its only active ingredient is benzaldehyde green (malachite green equivalent I believe) which does not seem to be effective for saltwater fish.

Fritz Mardel Quick Cure has been marketed in the past. It contains 18.5% formaldehyde (formalin) and 0.44% malachite green. The formaldehyde is effective as a velvet treatment, but needs to be carefully handled to avoid human exposure risks. In fact, any site I find advertising this product shows the product to be "sold out" or not in inventory. I suspect that may be due to government regulations.

Copper Power or Coppersafe are the most recommended treatment for saltwater ich. I haven't conducted an exhaustive search for a formalin source, but Quick Cure doesn't appear to be available.

OP
OP
anabechara

anabechara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some clarification on meds:

API Super Ich cure is intended for fresh and salwater ich. However, its only active ingredient is benzaldehyde green (malachite green equivalent I believe) which does not seem to be effective for saltwater fish.

Fritz Mardel Quick Cure has been marketed in the past. It contains 18.5% formaldehyde (formalin) and 0.44% malachite green. The formaldehyde is effective as a velvet treatment, but needs to be carefully handled to avoid human exposure risks. In fact, any site I find advertising this product shows the product to be "sold out" or not in inventory. I suspect that may be due to government regulations.

Copper Power or Coppersafe are the most recommended treatment for saltwater ich. I haven't conducted an exhaustive search for a formalin source, but Quick Cure doesn't appear to be available.
Thank you!

OP
OP
anabechara

anabechara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning!
Update: Wally is still alive. She is sitting at the bottom of the tank, she is "standing", not laying flat. I hope that makes a small difference. It is 6am here, so lights are not on, so I cannot see what her skin looks like yet.

Fish from DT tank look normal so far. The other clown is still in the DT because for the life of me I was not able to catch him last night and everybody (including me)
Since I am 4 hours away from the stores opening anyway I did not want to stress her out with a sudden bright light.

I dosed Super Ich Cure from API last night.

I will try to get Ruby Rally Pro today as per @vetteguy53081 recommendation. Since Quick Cure appears to be discontinued.

What else should I get to treat today?

I have Paraguard. Should I dose that?

Also, what food should buy?

I will post a video in an hour so when the lights start coming on.

Thank you!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Good morning!
Update: Wally is still alive. She is sitting at the bottom of the tank, she is "standing", not laying flat. I hope that makes a small difference. It is 6am here, so lights are not on, so I cannot see what her skin looks like yet.

Fish from DT tank look normal so far. The other clown is still in the DT because for the life of me I was not able to catch him last night and everybody (including me)
Since I am 4 hours away from the stores opening anyway I did not want to stress her out with a sudden bright light.

I dosed Super Ich Cure from API last night.

I will try to get Ruby Rally Pro today as per @vetteguy53081 recommendation. Since Quick Cure appears to be discontinued.

What else should I get to treat today?

I have Paraguard. Should I dose that?

Also, what food should buy?

I will post a video in an hour so when the lights start coming on.

Thank you!
Please keep this to one thread.

OP
OP
anabechara

anabechara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Maxy, my other clown ate this morning but he was swimming slowly and trying to lay down on the sand sporadically.
Today it was easier to catch him. And now they are both together in the hospital.

Attachments

• 69178037952__208B62F6-93A1-49F7-B7CE-AABC7A65715E.MOV
    3.2 MB
OP
OP
anabechara

anabechara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
I dosed Super Ich Cure last night and Paraguard this morning.
Both fish seem to be doing better. Wally is swimming more and looks more flexible when he swims, his upper fins are standing up again. Maxy looks also better. They are no longer laying on the bottom of the tank as much as be
They are still not eating. And Wally's poop is still white.

I was finally able to find the Rally Pro.
And new food is on the way.

So my question is, the fish seem to be doing better. Should I change the treatment to Rally Pro? Or keep going with what I dosed last night?

attached a video taken now.

thank you!!!

@vetteguy53081

Attachments

• IMG_2607.MOV
    57.3 MB

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Update:
I dosed Super Ich Cure last night and Paraguard this morning.
Both fish seem to be doing better. Wally is swimming more and looks more flexible when he swims, his upper fins are standing up again. Maxy looks also better. They are no longer laying on the bottom of the tank as much as be
They are still not eating. And Wally's poop is still white.

I was finally able to find the Rally Pro.
And new food is on the way.

So my question is, the fish seem to be doing better. Should I change the treatment to Rally Pro? Or keep going with what I dosed last night?

attached a video taken now.

thank you!!!

@vetteguy53081
Improvement and good news !!!!

Back