Please help with DDR era Calcium Reactor

LC8Sumi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Chaps and Chaplinas!

I've bought a second hand Schuran JetStream 1 reactor. I'm using an Oxyturbo reductor (analog) and an Eheim CompactON 300 pump with a cheap needle valve to feed it and a custom built Atlas-Scientific pH controller.

My observation is the following:
1, I can get the CO2 bubble rate pretty stable with this regulator / needle valve.
2, Feeding the water into the reactor is my problem. It's like the small pump isn't doing anything at all. If I remove the pump and just put the end of the hose intake hose into the sump, the reactor pulls water through it by itself - which I guess it does when the pump is attached / turned on as well.

My problem is the following:
1, I don't have money to buy a peristaltic pump. No, not even the very cheap Kamoer one - it costs me 2 month salary here where I live.

So the question is: Is there any method to feed the reactor somewhat normally, should I tee off the return (probably better pressure than the small pump), or should I just ditch the pump and let the reactor pull it's own water?

And another question: How do I set the Ca/Alk in the tank with such a reactor? I mean is there a rule of thumb, like more efluent = higher Ca/Alk in the tank? I don't really understand how the efluent corelates with the CO2 bubble count, etc. I mean how can I run a huge reactor on a small tank without overdosing?

I've watched all the videos on youtube, but can't figure out "set drip rate 1 drip / second and Co2 bubble rate to 1 every two seconds" would mean how much Ca/Alk on how big of a tank at the end of the day? I'm coming from two part, so that might be a handicap:D

Cheers

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 71 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.1%
Back