Please help with my nem.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small BTA anemone like this isn't going to "nuke my tank" even if it died and decomposed in the tank, so I would not worry about this. (even in a 16 gal biocube)
Most important for him to recover is having adequate flow. Leave him in stagnant flow and you will ensure his demise. He does look a little stressed but nothing BTA cannot recover from. More important is how he got here in the first place. You need to make sure the tank water is good and stable and then try to situate it so that he goes not get detached and sail right into the overflow box or PH.
Using something like a strawberry basket, or even build a box with common egg-crate and zip-tide to keep him in there and not blown into the PH.
Good luck with him

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What you are seeing are mesenterial filaments I believe.. They usually are a sign of aggression in corals when they are exposed. They usually come out the mouth.. With anemones they sometimes almost turn their guts inside out through their mouth when stressed exposing the mesenterial filaments . Sometimes if they show through a body part is it because of damage to the anemone like a tear or rip.

If you anemone is deflating and then seems fine over and over it could be a bacteria infection and may want to treat it because it rarely goes away and usually get worse till the anemone dies.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would shade it for now. Too much light will be stressful. You can put something over the tank where you have it contained (like some cardboard above the tank or white plastic over the container).

Does the color of the nem where it inflates look normal? Is it bleaching?
Color looks normal I covered his make shift home for now

OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small BTA anemone like this isn't going to "nuke my tank" even if it died and decomposed in the tank, so I would not worry about this. (even in a 16 gal biocube)
Most important for him to recover is having adequate flow. Leave him in stagnant flow and you will ensure his demise. He does look a little stressed but nothing BTA cannot recover from. More important is how he got here in the first place. You need to make sure the tank water is good and stable and then try to situate it so that he goes not get detached and sail right into the overflow box or PH.
Using something like a strawberry basket, or even build a box with common egg-crate and zip-tide to keep him in there and not blown into the PH.
Good luck with him
LFS just tested my water everything looks good. My nitrates always seem hover right there. I did feed my tank this morning. That may be why as well. I made a make shift thing for him, clear plastic container with holes tied to my tank with zip ties
image.jpg
image.jpg

OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He needs a lot more holes, enought so there will be current, not barely or unmoving water.
Ok gonna run to the store get a new container and give it more holes. Or would a breeder box work? I can run to pet smart

Lovefish77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
following, but if worms, what are all these worms doing around the nem? Not many creatures can get that close to them!!!

Last edited:

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would be better to get egg crate and zip-tide. Sick anemone actually need current. Low current is what he need. I think any container with less than 50% of the wall is open is likely not enough. IMO only. I often use barrier in case like this to keep the anemone from floating into danger.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
following, but if worms, what are all these worms doing around the nem? Not many creature can get that close to them!!!
They are mesentery filaments, not worms. The oral plate was compromised and the filament protrude from the inside.

OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would be better to get egg crate and zip-tide. Sick anemone actually need current. Low current is what he need. I think any container with less than 50% of the wall is open is likely not enough. IMO only. I often use barrier in case like this to keep the anemone from floating into danger.
ok so where he will be located is right where my gravity feed from my hang on fuge is. I can also place my wavemaker blowing towards this

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look at the pic I posted earlier, I took a disposable plastic cup and melted holes big enough to get my pinky finger into about 1/4 -1/2 inch apart in a checkerboard pattern. Provides good flow, good check is to put 1/2 a pellet in the cup and if it exits through a hole almost immediately it’s good flow. Don’t try to feed the nem though, that will likely cause stress

OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@OrionN
This is what I came up with. A net breeder box from pets mart (can’t get much more flow than that) I added a plexiglass bottom
And put holes in that to make sure I don’t diminish flow. I placed a plastic lid on top so he doesn’t get blasted with light

also he is right where my gravity feed from fuge is located so the water flows right into his net holder andI moved my wave maker so it’s going that way too.

at suggestion of LFS I’m running carbon now just in case something is in there that is upsetting him.

he was inflated earlier and is still slightly inflated now. Lights are off currently

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good! If you notice the nem walks away from the powerheads I would suggest moving it slightly away from the flow. Hopefully this guy makes a full recovery, you seem very dedicated and willing to do everything you can to help this guy make it. You’re a good reefer :)

OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good! If you notice the nem walks away from the powerheads I would suggest moving it slightly away from the flow. Hopefully this guy makes a full recovery, you seem very dedicated and willing to do everything you can to help this guy make it. You’re a good reefer :)
He was already trying to walk away. I moved his rock to the opposite side.I’ll see where he is in the morning. I have work at 3am so I think I should get some sleep!

My boyfriend says I put so much love into this tank it has to live!

thank you and @OrionN for all y’all’s help.

OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was my birthday present.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 30 40.5%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 38 51.4%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 6 8.1%
Back