Please, lets Honor memorial Day

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Memorial Day is to Honor those Americans that died in battle. It differs from Veterans Day

A Memorial Day fact everyone should know is that the first observances of what we now refer to as “Memorial Day” were intended to honor those who died in battle during the Civil War. Claiming more lives than any other conflict in U.S. history, the Civil War required the establishment of the nation’s first national cemeteries, according to History.com.

It began as a grassroots movement
shutterstock_333804515-1-760x506.jpg
wernerimages 2018/Shutterstock

Long before Memorial Day became a national holiday in 1971, and almost two years before its first official observance in 1868, local springtime tributes to the Civil War dead had been held in various municipalities. One of the first occurred in Columbus, Mississippi, on April 25, 1866 (not quite a year after the end of the Civil War), when a group of women visiting a cemetery to decorate the graves of Confederate soldiers placed flowers upon the bare graves of Union soldiers, as well, in the spirit of national unity. To expand your knowledge, learn about the surprising information about the history of Memorial Day.

bigcheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, Paul.

I think it's also important to remember those who came back with whole bodies but shattered minds, instead taking their own lives due to the unseen wounds of war.
They too, deserve our thoughts, prayers, and for their stories to live on forever.

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many gone.... and I’m forever grateful. I have a friend who lost her son to a freak accident a few years back. He was stationed at the Pensacola Naval Air Base.

And just an interesting note... I was in Columbus, MS yesterday! Beautiful place...

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A great Thank You to all our Reef2Reef veterans, and those currently serving, including their families, who sacrifice as well...

My 18 year old nephew was killed in a non combat line of duty auto accident last year, so this is the first year Memorial Day has had such an up close and personal impact.

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I choose not to honor it myself.

In my mind the civil war should be erased from history. All it does is propagate hate and racism. Sad it’s come to that.

And I don’t need a day to remember my friends I lost. That’s with me everyday and night. If you didn’t serve you shouldn’t have a opinion on it either.

And saying thank you for your service just sounds like f u in my head to me. I absolutely hate when people say that.

-Military honors military.
-Government could care less. We were just numbers to protect their investments
- civilians just follow what ever media says the norm should be
-then we have those who really wanted to serve but couldn’t for medical or other reasons. I feel for those people. No one should be excluded from what they want to do

My thoughts and my thoughts alone. I have no ill will against anyone who chooses to celebrate or how they do it. I just get sick of these money making holidays that started with a good intention then are twisted for getting drunk, cookouts, and profit.

And saying thank you for your service and sacrifice when you have no idea what it means.

In 2 generations time I’ll be surprised if anyone remembers the meaning of any holiday if they didn’t read about it.

If you really want to help, invite some guys over from the va for a cookout or go to the va hospital and just chat with them. It will go a lot further than drinking beer and eating hotdogs.

Last edited:

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want to salute all who have bravely served this country , although I am a vet from a different country, I served in the Polish army in the Recon Battalion and I am very proud to serve. I have a lot of respect for anyone that has served in army!

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just get sick of these money making holidays that started with a good intention then are twisted for getting drunk, cookouts, and profit.

That is why I started this thread.

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you really want to help, invite some guys over from the va for a cookout or go to the va hospital and just chat with them. It will go a lot further than drinking beer and eating hotdogs.[/QUOTE]

Hey brother I hear you. And that’s a great idea. I don’t need to hear but I don’t get so upset with the “thank you” although when I was in the desert we use to have some heated debates on the topic. It sure as heck beats being spit on!! But I get what you are saying.

I started a tradition with my 6 kids when I was still in the Army that many of them still do today. We go to the Army hospital closest to us or the VA and visit with the men and women there. I mostly take them to the PT unit where most of the amputees are and let them talk to the soldiers that lost brothers over there by also to see what they lost and how so many of them would do it all again. Not for the media or the government officials but for the inner part that calls to them...even still. The convos on the way home when the kids were younger are still bar none the best ever.

And we do have a cookout of sorts at our farm but it is always with some local vets that i know as my patients, from church or just from bumping into someone when I’m at Lowe’s or wherever. The stories are endless the camaraderie is like old times. It taught my kids the respect and reverence for the task and the sacrifice. I’m sure my youngest chose to be a marine bc of it (or maybe to one up his “Army” father) whatever the reason I’m proud of him and thankful to all the current soldiers that put it on the line so we can do what we do everyday. I would go back in a second and feel privileged to have been able to serve.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you really want to help, invite some guys over from the va for a cookout or go to the va hospital and just chat with them. It will go a lot further than drinking beer and eating hotdogs

Hey brother I hear you. And that’s a great idea. I don’t need to hear but I don’t get so upset with the “thank you” although when I was in the desert we use to have some heated debates on the topic. It sure as heck beats being spit on!! But I get what you are saying.

I started a tradition with my 6 kids when I was still in the Army that many of them still do today. We go to the Army hospital closest to us or the VA and visit with the men and women there. I mostly take them to the PT unit where most of the amputees are and let them talk to the soldiers that lost brothers over there by also to see what they lost and how so many of them would do it all again. Not for the media or the government officials but for the inner part that calls to them...even still. The convos on the way home when the kids were younger are still bar none the best ever.

And we do have a cookout of sorts at our farm but it is always with some local vets that i know as my patients, from church or just from bumping into someone when I’m at Lowe’s or wherever. The stories are endless the camaraderie is like old times. It taught my kids the respect and reverence for the task and the sacrifice. I’m sure my youngest chose to be a marine bc of it (or maybe to one up his “Army” father) whatever the reason I’m proud of him and thankful to all the current soldiers that put it on the line so we can do what we do everyday. I would go back in a second and feel privileged to have been able to serve.

The best word I can come up with here is awesome. Time spent is the best gift given. With family, friends, strangers. You rock.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
We have Many members Who have served or have lost a loved one OR also have a loved one in Military service.
THE WORD SACRIFICE DOES NOT EXPRESS THE GRATITUDE FOR THE INVESTMENT MADE FOR OUR FREEDOM !! fOR THAT, THANK YOU !!!

Today we remember the men and women who gave their lives in military service. We thank God for their example of courage and selflessness that beautifully reflects John 15:13: “Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.” Let’s take a moment today to pray for their families, as well as for those currently serving in our Armed Forces.

Our Loving Father,
God of comfort and unfailing grace,
we pray for those who mourn loved ones today.
Surround them with your peace, strength, and provision.
Lord, protect those who continue to serve our country.
May your faithful promises be their shield.

Have a blessed Memorial Day.

Last edited:

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back