Plumbing A Sump.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is something I have never done before, and will have to do for my long, long delayed build. The tank has two corner overflows, each with one drilled hole.

For a couple of reasons, I have decided on the durso style. I have room for 2" diameter pipes, which as I understand it can help reduce noise.

I can draw about as well as a kindergartener with no hands, otherwise I'd post a diagram. But as I understand it, it's pretty straight forward, more or less. My current plan, unless someone more versed in the subject says, "No moron, that's stupid, do it this way that is way better!" 2" pvc lines under the stand, down into filter socks. The return line just going up the back of the tank and over the top, ending just below the surface with some sort of nozzle to direct the flow across the top of the water to maximize the rippling effect.

Some things I don't know.
What about check valves? Or I've heard lots of talk about gate valves? What for, and where should they go in the line? How should the lines be supported, or does it matter if they're left just suspended in the air.

What about materials, is pvc the best option? Schedule 40 or 80? Wall thickness? What sort of pvc glue to use? Any or is there a specific reef safe glue to use?

What about return pumps? Submersible vs external? I have a line on a pretty much brand new little giant for cheap, but it's not submersible, and I see a lot of people use submersible pumps. Any particular reason why?

Is there anything I am missing?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For starters, check valves can fail. You want the sump to hold all the extra water when the return pump is off.
Pump. If its external you will need to drill the sump and put in a bulkhead
Sch 40 pipe is fine
Regular PVC pipe cement is fine.
I would try to support the pipe by clamping it to the stand some how

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lapin is correct. Clic Clamps will hold your piping tight to the stand & are pvc.
Little Giant pumps are noisy so if you want something quiet there are options.
How big is the tank & are you planning a basement sump?
This will help in picking a pump.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sump I bought is already drilled. Partly why I want external. That, and to save space for a big refugium.

At the moment, and likely for the future for a good while I have to look at price first. Good to know it may be noisy, but I can always get a better pump down the road when times aren't so hard. I know patience is key in this hobby, but some of my fish are quickly outgrowing my current tank.

Tank is 230 Gallon, sump is 150 gallon. Sump is under the stand, as the tank is in my basement.

Smokeshow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The gate valve goes into the drain line. Helps to restrict flow to match your return pump. I have a eshopps large overflow box so its alittle different than the corner overflows but here's an example of mine

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks pretty straightforward. Will definitely have to include some gate valves.

What about the diameter of the pipes? Is bigger necessarily better? I've been looking around and it doesn't seem like 2" pipe and fittings are super common in my area. It's almost all 1-1.5".

I wouldn't think a half inch would make a big difference, would it?

Smokeshow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine are dual 1.5 and a 1.5 emergency drain. One pipe is open about 75% and the other maybe 25% open. It's a 125g and running about 1300gph through the 55g sump. The 1.5 I'd more than adequate for most builds. Just depends on what your goal is

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the purpose of the emergency drain? I mean, the name is pretty self explanatory, but wouldn't it only drain water until the sump emptied?

Smokeshow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the primary drain got clogged the water in the overflow box will rise. Once it reaches the emergency drain it will drain to the sump instead of on the floor. In my picture above the red pipe in the overflow box is for the emergency drain

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see that now. Makes perfect sense. I wonder if I could rig something like that without drilling any more holes. Probably not in a way that would actually be effective in the event of a clog.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just one in each corner. About 2.5" in diameter.

The more I read about overflows and standpipe designs, this was a stupid way for the former owner to do it, especially for what he claimed was a custom tank.

While on the subject, I've been looking for bulkheads, and maybe it's because my knowledge of plumbing is on par with that of your average lemur, but finding the right size to use seems more complicated than it has to be.

Attachments

• DSC_2628.JPG
    DSC_2628.JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC_2629.JPG
    DSC_2629.JPG
    105 KB · Views: 15
OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, thanks. That's a big help. I was searching all the hardware stores for bulkheads and was just coming to the conclusion that they are birthed from the union of a unicorn and golden goose when I read that. Had never occurred to me to check my lfs. Sure enough, they have exactly the right bulkheads. Excellent, most excellent indeed.

You've been a huge help, thank you.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back