Plumbing a UV sterilizer

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to the lfs today. Asked them best way to plumb my sterilizer. They told me to plumb it into my existing plumbing into the pipes flowing water into my sump. It wasy understanding that it should be into my return pipes or a separate pump from my DT and back into my DT. What's the best way to plumb it into my existing plumbing. The return or the drain pipes that puts water into my sump. Or a separate pump from DT to tank?

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run it inline. With UV sterilizers, it's all about "dwell time" that is the time the water is exposed to the UV. We install these mostly in commercial environments so when it comes to hobbyist tanks there may need to be modifications

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The "dwell time" is exactly why I run mine on its own with its own pump. If you tie it into the return or drain then you can not control the exposure time.

BeMoto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you trying to accomplish with your uv.

Are you running higher flow thrue your main return or low?

Is it going to be set up long turn or short?

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The "dwell time" is exactly why I run mine on its own with its own pump. If you tie it into the return or drain then you can not control the exposure time.
This is correct. What are your thoughts on the system being a closed loop? No this time but the next go round?

Reefin Aint Easy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best way is to run it inline in your return line from the sump to the display tank so all the water is getting sterilized that's going to your display. You will have to figure which purpose you want to run it for so you can dial it in to that flow rate. You can control the exposure time/flow rate by turning your return pump up or down to dial into your specific goal (parasite or algae) because every UV is different based on make and model.

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought this setup in the picture.
uv.png

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best way is to run it inline in your return line from the sump to the display tank so all the water is getting sterilized that's going to your display. You will have to figure which purpose you want to run it for so you can dial it in to that flow rate. You can control the exposure time/flow rate by turning your return pump up or down to dial into your specific goal (parasite or algae) because every UV is different based on make and model.
This assumes that you can match the return with the overflow at any desired uv flow rate. Typically this is not the case. It is easier to plumb this way though.

Reefin Aint Easy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This assumes that you can match the return with the overflow at any desired uv flow rate. Typically this is not the case. It is easier to plumb this way though.

You are correct. When I plumbed mine in this way I made sure I had a large enough pump that is controllable and that it could handle what I needed and made sure my overflow and plumbing could handle it as well.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
There are a ton of posts here about installing UV. I found one that allowed complete control over the flow rate and it was in-line so you only used your return pump. I forgot where I saw it but I copied it. I have a few posts in my build thread that you can get to by clicking the banner under my profile picture. Cheers!

Back