Plumbing Dual overflow, single 2" hole...

phillybean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Just picked up a used 220 gallon tank, it is set up with dual corner overflows, one single hole in each overflow that is 2". Drilling any more holes is not an option, I will be going with a Durso style stand pipe. Finding 2" PVC pipe & fittings is looking a bit difficult (wanting to go with colored PVC, 1.5" is the biggest I can find in Canada). What I am hoping to do is run a reducer to 1.5" on both sides of the bulk head, so both the Durso and pipe down to the tank will be 1.5". I know this will reduce some flow, but should still be well over what I am looking to run. Just wondering if there are any other issues that may come from this or if there is a better solution.

Return pump is a Jebao 18000, I will have it dialed down until I start using a manifold for reactors, UV and possible Frag Tank. Second question, pump has the main return of 1 1/4" pipe, my plan it to run a single 1 1/4" pipe up to the tank, then make a short manifold of of 3/4" loc line fittings. From some rough calculations, I think with the 5' or so of head height, dialed all the way down, it will be running around 2000 gph. How many loc line returns should I use? 2? 3? 4?

Thanks

Ribo15

View Badges
Reaction score
2 1.5” drains will give way more flow than you could ever need. I also bought a used tank and it came as you describe. I ran one side an an emergency drain with a stand pipe slightly higher than the other side and then run the other side completely flooded with a gate valve on the return. The flow into the second one is a very small trickle but will act as an emergency should something clog the other one. It kind of defeats the purpose of dual overflows but I find being able to dial in the flow with the gate valve and having a silent overflow is much more beneficial. Just my 2 cents! Also my 2” is reduced down to 1.5” and with this set up my 3150gph pump with 2-3/4” lock line returns from a 1” manifold and that 1 side with the gate wide open is way more flow than my pump can supply it.

What are you most excited to read about in our REEF OF THE MONTH articles?

• I love reading about reef equipment!

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • For me, it's all about the CORALS!!

Votes: 22 9.8%
  • Seeing and reading about cool fish that I wish I could keep!

Votes: 5 2.2%
  • Looking for neat innovations and creative solutions they're using!

Votes: 43 19.2%
  • Looking mostly for stuff I can try on my tank!

Votes: 20 8.9%
  • Are you kidding?? I'm excited about ALL OF IT!!

Votes: 121 54.0%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
CoralVue HYDROS Control