Plumbing flow question

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone i have a 3/4 inch manifold with 6 outputs controlled by spears 1/4 turn valves only two are in use one to supply a algae scrubber and the other to supply a UV. I supply the manifold with a dc pump that does 2100 gph connected to about 3 1/2 feet of 1 inch ID tubing. I connected my algae with quick connect 1/2 tubing from the manifold at this point i'm only getting 117 gph at the algae scrubber. I f
image1.jpeg
eel like i should be getting so much more flow to the scrubber. image2.jpeg image2.jpeg image1.jpeg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much are you getting at the UV?
Are both getting the same flow rate?
What is the flow rate thru one of the other outlets with the scrubber and UV turned to the off posistion?
Perhaps the algae scrubber is more restrictive and water travel thru the UV instead?

OP
OP
richiero

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much are you getting at the UV?
Are both getting the same flow rate?
What is the flow rate thru one of the other outlets with the scrubber and UV turned to the off posistion?
Perhaps the algae scrubber is more restrictive and water travel thru the UV instead?
I only have a flow meter on my scrubber not my uv so I don’t know how much flow I’m getting on the UV

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Measure the output of one of the other outlets with a 5 gallon bucket and a timer. Close the UV and scrubber.
It is a start at figuring out the answer to your question.

OP
OP
richiero

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On so fill it up to the 1gallon mark then times 60min x 60 seconds and divide by the time it took to fill ?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just time it. 15 seconds, 30 seconds or 1 min, then measure the amount of liquid and then X for gph

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the size of the output on the pump? Is it ¾" (the size of your manifold), or something larger, like 1" or even 1½"? Others can chime in here, but you might be better off if you made your manifold the same size as your pump's output and reduce the size to ¾" at each outlet. From what I have seen on these pages, most people use at least 1" pipe on their manifolds.

Also, maybe manually check your flow rate through your scrubber. You may be getting more than the flow sensor indicates.

OP
OP
richiero

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Measure the output of one of the other outlets with a 5 gallon bucket and a timer. Close the UV and scrubber.
It is a start at figuring out the answer to your question.
Will do, thank you

OP
OP
richiero

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the size of the output on the pump? Is it ¾" (the size of your manifold), or something larger, like 1" or even 1½"? Others can chime in here, but you might be better off if you made your manifold the same size as your pump's output and reduce the size to ¾" at each outlet. From what I have seen on these pages, most people use at least 1" pipe on their manifolds.

Also, maybe manually check your flow rate through your scrubber. You may be getting more than the flow sensor indicates.
The pump has the 1 inch barb on it the tubing is one inch also. I would consider making a new one. I will check the flow manually also. Thank you.

OP
OP
richiero

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys anyone know what type of fitting I would need to make a one inch tee a one inch male thread ??? So I could screw and unscrew my one inch 1/4 values on and off? I’m using these valves with threaded unions.

Thank you

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
richiero

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
richiero

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that’s what I want to do thank you !!!
would this be the same thing ??

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would this be the same thing ??

No, but it will also accomplish what you want. It just won't fit inside of the T. You would need a short piece of PVC to fit inside of the T and the fitting and the end of the fitting will butt up against the T, but not go inside of it, like the fitting I linked to.

OP
OP
richiero

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, but it will also accomplish what you want. It just won't fit inside of the T. You would need a short piece of PVC to fit inside of the T and the fitting and the end of the fitting will butt up against the T, but not go inside of it, like the fitting I linked to.
Thank you so much, I’m just trying to order everything from the same place so it all come at once.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 134 59.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 80 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.1%
Back