Plumbing Help (Head Pressure!)

Andrew Schubert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to up my return flow on my tank to match the specs on the uv sterilizer I attached (recommends 1000 GPH/flow). Currently I'm only getting 400-450 GPH. My pump is the Jebao 10000 which can achieve 2400 GPH. One reason I believe my flow is so slow is because all the 90 bends my pvc has to take to get through the sterilizer and back into my tank. In total I have about 5 verticle feet and another 7 90 bends for a total of 12 ft. of head pressure.

My though is to convert my pvc over to tubing, that way I can just run it more directly up to the sterilizer and into my tank. Seems obvious to me this should help a ton with head pressure, but making sure I'm on the right track here.

Also, I'm user 3/4 piping straight from the pump. The Jebao pump can do 1 1/4 pipe, but since the return is only 3/4 I'm doing that the whole way. Would head pressure be helped if I did 1/1/4 pipe the whole way right up until the ned and switched to the 3/4 back into my tank? This one I'm not sure if it would have any effect on head pressure or not????

Thoughts on these ideas to reduce head pressure and increase flow?

dan3949

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reducing the # of elbows and increasing the pipe diameter will help increase flow. However, slower flow through a UV sterilizer should only help in the effectiveness in killing parasites. The 1000 GPH flow is a maximum flow through the UV. The longer the water is in the UV housing (i.e. lower flowrate), the greater the efficiency of the sterilizer. No need to re-plumb just to increase flow through the UV.

Dabcrusher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to up my return flow on my tank to match the specs on the uv sterilizer I attached (recommends 1000 GPH/flow). Currently I'm only getting 400-450 GPH. My pump is the Jebao 10000 which can achieve 2400 GPH. One reason I believe my flow is so slow is because all the 90 bends my pvc has to take to get through the sterilizer and back into my tank. In total I have about 5 verticle feet and another 7 90 bends for a total of 12 ft. of head pressure.

My though is to convert my pvc over to tubing, that way I can just run it more directly up to the sterilizer and into my tank. Seems obvious to me this should help a ton with head pressure, but making sure I'm on the right track here.

Also, I'm user 3/4 piping straight from the pump. The Jebao pump can do 1 1/4 pipe, but since the return is only 3/4 I'm doing that the whole way. Would head pressure be helped if I did 1/1/4 pipe the whole way right up until the ned and switched to the 3/4 back into my tank? This one I'm not sure if it would have any effect on head pressure or not????

Flex flow flex pvc if you go with the tubing works great and isnt an eyesore. But all the 90 degree turn deffo slows down the water flow

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes This would greatly increase your flow

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 67 34.4%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back