Plumbing Help Small Leak

coral49

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a small leak 1 drop per 15 mins coming from thread area on a threaded bulk head. I can't take plumbing apart rest is glued. It started about 2 days after the fill of a new tank. I used teflon tape, (next time I will glue) it wasn't over tighten or heavy tape. Is there some expoxy or glue I can use to stop it?

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a small leak 1 drop per 15 mins coming from thread area on a threaded bulk head. I can't take plumbing apart rest is glued. It started about 2 days after the fill of a new tank. I used teflon tape, (next time I will glue) it wasn't over tighten or heavy tape. Is there some expoxy or glue I can use to stop it?

You don’t use Teflon tape or glue on a threaded bulkhead.
Best bet is to cut the plumbing, get a new bulkhead, then use a union to reconnect the plumbing.

OP
OP
C

coral49

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks, next time I know any options to seal the small drip with what I have done?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Let water level drop below bulkhead line and although not normal practice, run a thin bead of aquarium sealant around bulkhead and let dry overnight. Should be well sealed

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may self seal if the leak is small enough.. other than that you will have to redo your plumbing, glues and epoxy will most likely not work

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best to just fix it right now. It’s a pain but everyone has had plumbing issues when first starting out at some point. You’ll likely be dealing with salt creep forever if you don’t get it taken care of now.

you can try just unscrewing the bulkhead, removing the tape and retightening it. Also, check to make sure there aren’t any high spots in the gasket. Sometimes the gaskets or the bulkhead itself have imperfect areas that can cause a leak. I usually use sandpaper so smooth them out.

OP
OP
C

coral49

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm the bulk head is on bottom not he tank, hence my issue I have to drain the whole thing. Guess I wait and see if it self seals. If not try some form of glue and give it a shot. It's a very slow leak, any recommend for the best glue/expoxy options. Guess I try something

thanks

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm the bulk head is on bottom not he tank, hence my issue I have to drain the whole thing. Guess I wait and see if it self seals. If not try some form of glue and give it a shot. It's a very slow leak, any recommend for the best glue/expoxy options. Guess I try something

thanks

can you take a picture of how you have it setup? Even if it’s on the bottom you should be able to drain the water out of just the overflow box.

Brad ward

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a professional PLUMBER...I can tell you fixing a water leak from the outside rarely works. Since it’s a drain you might get lucky if you can clean it with alcohol and dry it then use a fast cure epoxy BUT if the tank isn’t still in its trial or test stage I would drain it and do it right .

OP
OP
C

coral49

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hoping for a Hail Mary to connect, it technically not a new set up but a new tank. it was an upgrade in the same spot. so all the coral and fish were house in various smaller tanks and garbage cans. I did as much prework as I could in advance then spent 12 hours doing the change over waited 24 hours for tank to settling with water then added coral and fish back. Sure enough after 24 hrs all back together and in new home. the leak is from the internal thread portion of the bulk head.

The thought of moving and draining again makes me crazy but agree it's best to fix it right just hope I don't loose to many corals with back and forth.

of course I'm still open to ideas but tomorrow I'm likely back at it again, but might wait another day because I might need to sit on couch for a day. The drip is slow 1 per 15 mins.

thanks

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not understanding why you can’t just drain the overflow box then unscrew the bulkhead from under the cabinet? It’s definitely awkward to work under the stand but it should be a lot easier than pulling everything out of the tank.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used plumbers putty around the outside of bulkhead for a similar slow drip and it's been almost 2 years and it's fine FWIW. (I'm lazy too Lol)

OP
OP
C

coral49

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the picture, ignore the Teflon tape, it was added after as a desperate attempt to stop the leak. I just wrapped it a bunch of time, clearly didn't work.

The bulk heads are in the corner very close to frame less than an 1/8inch from frame. So to make any changes I need to empty tank slid it on the frame forward so I can work on it.

The leak is not the bulk head on the glass, the bulkhead is threaded.
The leak is in the threaded part.
There is no space for a union joint, so I added the threaded female with male slip glued the 90 slip into it.
The rest is hard plumbed with unions into the back room where it has a fuge, sump etc.
Everything is S80 ordered BRS.

I'm going to fix it right so I am open to suggestions.

I have to drain tank, cut pip and unscrew

Then what to do you think?

Option 1
I just screwed the same piece back in and reconnect with union.
Do I use glue or not? others have said use nothing but many have said use glue.

Option 2
I have a S40- corner piece with female thread and slip end. I can use that piece and glue a new straight to union. I didn't do this 1st because I was planning to keep it all S80.

Will the S40 thread work better in bulk head vs the S80?

Options 3
I'm open to ideas?

thanks

IMG_leak.jpg IMG_leak2.jpg

tamanning

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the picture, ignore the Teflon tape, it was added after as a desperate attempt to stop the leak. I just wrapped it a bunch of time, clearly didn't work.

The bulk heads are in the corner very close to frame less than an 1/8inch from frame. So to make any changes I need to empty tank slid it on the frame forward so I can work on it.

The leak is not the bulk head on the glass, the bulkhead is threaded.
The leak is in the threaded part.
There is no space for a union joint, so I added the threaded female with male slip glued the 90 slip into it.
The rest is hard plumbed with unions into the back room where it has a fuge, sump etc.
Everything is S80 ordered BRS.

I'm going to fix it right so I am open to suggestions.

I have to drain tank, cut pip and unscrew

Then what to do you think?

Option 1
I just screwed the same piece back in and reconnect with union.
Do I use glue or not? others have said use nothing but many have said use glue.

Option 2
I have a S40- corner piece with female thread and slip end. I can use that piece and glue a new straight to union. I didn't do this 1st because I was planning to keep it all S80.

Will the S40 thread work better in bulk head vs the S80?

Options 3
I'm open to ideas?

thanks

IMG_leak.jpg IMG_leak2.jpg
A lot of what I might say depends on where is your tank how long will it be there will you upgrade in the future etc. Glue will not leak if applied correctly but is a nightmare for maintenance. I glued mine but I can run a brush through my standpipe.

OP
OP
C

coral49

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks.. validate point. I don't plan on upgrade any time nor moving it. This is my 4th tank one more and I be living in dog house. It's hear to stay, cleaning shouldn't be an issue.

What is the proper way to glue?

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks.. validate point. I don't plan on upgrade any time nor moving it. This is my 4th tank one more and I be living in dog house. It's hear to stay, cleaning shouldn't be an issue.

What is the proper way to glue?

Tough to really see what is going on in the pic. It looks like you have the plumbing attached to the bulkhead using the outer threads? You can try to remove all of the Teflon tape and use pipe dope. That is what you are supposed to use for sealing threaded pvc connections. I have never seen a bulkhead that was designed to have the outer threads used for anything aside from screwing on the nut to secure the bulkhead. Or are you using threads that are on the inner part of the bulkhead? If so, pipe dope will seal it properly.

OP
OP
C

coral49

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's not on the outer screw of bulk head. Its a threaded joint connector screwed into the bulk head and then into threaded female joint and slip other side.

IMG_8639.jpg

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Then pipe dope on the threads should solve your problem. Not sure how you’ll be able to unscrew it with the way the plumbing is now though. Might be easiest to just cut the two bulkheads out and replace them both.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 29.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.1%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back