Plumbing help

Foxchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so first time plumbing and drilling aquarium. Tank is a 40b with a 20g long sump. 3/4 piping (that's the size of bulkhead on overflow box)

Any tips? Ideas? Concerns? Anything I'm missing? This is what I've got so far from watching a ton of YT videos.

(Ignore the bad drawing. I did it on my phone with my finger haha)

Screenshot_20200409-102103_Samsung Notes.jpg

o-townFLA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How your overfill box going to be attached? I went with the Herbie setup due to simplicity and less plumbing. I did switch the main drain ball valve to a Spear gate valve
47F6F8A5-A252-4391-BEC8-F6CEF8B5F7A4.jpeg
Here’s a video of how quite it is.

OP
OP
Foxchase

Foxchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How your overfill box going to be attached? I went with the Herbie setup due to simplicity and less plumbing. I did switch the main drain ball valve to a Spear gate valve
47F6F8A5-A252-4391-BEC8-F6CEF8B5F7A4.jpeg
Here’s a video of how quite it is.
I was looking to go bean animal style so that I could have the peace of mind. Plus, the overflow box comes with 3 drain holes already so I figured it's set up for BA. But that's amazing. That's what I'm trying to go for. Something quiet because it's going in my livingroom

OP
OP
Foxchase

Foxchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No gate valve for the emergency as it should not be restricted.. other than that it looks good
It's a ball valve in case I ever needed to stop water from draining completely for whatever reason.

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No valve, the emergency shouldn’t have any water going thru it unless “emergency” even for maintenance purpose. But it can’t hurt to have one, just make sure it’s open every time.

OP
OP
Foxchase

Foxchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No valve, the emergency shouldn’t have any water going thru it unless “emergency” even for maintenance purpose. But it can’t hurt to have one, just make sure it’s open every time.
Ok then I'll leave it free. Do you think I'm missing anything else? Also, does this look ok for the return?
(Again, I apologise for the horrible sketch)

Screenshot_20200409-105648_Samsung Notes.jpg

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks pretty good to me. I agree with the no ball valve on emergency drain. I always make sure to put unions around my return (mine is external). I also put a ball valve on my return. Just in case your check valve fails or need to stop the return water. I had this due to my return lines below the water surface. Really below.
Not needed now, but glad I have one anyway.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Last two plumbs, I installed a check valve and upon testing, prevented the water from running backwards into the sump

1586445002998.png

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks pretty good to me. I agree with the no ball valve on emergency drain. I always make sure to put unions around my return (mine is external). I also put a ball valve on my return. Just in case your check valve fails or need to stop the return water. I had this due to my return lines below the water surface. Really below.
Not needed now, but glad I have one anyway.

Agreed here too..
The drawing is perfect. I would add unions at check valves Incase you have to service the valve or replace it. That way you can get your tank operational ASAP by replacing the valve with some left over plumbing.

In the past I never had check valves, and designed the system that even when the pump is off the “back flow” to the sump was so minimal I never had much of a concern..

Earlier this year I hard plumbed a new build and added a check valve. Low key wish I didn’t. I understand the benefits of having one but most systems aren’t backflowing so much water into the sump that it overflows.

OP
OP
Foxchase

Foxchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed here too..
The drawing is perfect. I would add unions at check valves Incase you have to service the valve or replace it. That way you can get your tank operational ASAP by replacing the valve with some left over plumbing.

In the past I never had check valves, and designed the system that even when the pump is off the “back flow” to the sump was so minimal I never had much of a concern..

Earlier this year I hard plumbed a new build and added a check valve. Low key wish I didn’t. I understand the benefits of having one but most systems aren’t backflowing so much water into the sump that it overflows.
The check valve is more of a redundancy. I was planning on putting the return lock line near the top so that if it ever backflows, it would be enough for the sump to handle it. I forgot to put it on there but I also thought about putting a gate valve on the return so that I can fine tune the flow. What do you think? Is it worth it?

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The check valve is more of a redundancy. I was planning on putting the return lock line near the top so that if it ever backflows, it would be enough for the sump to handle it. I forgot to put it on there but I also thought about putting a gate valve on the return so that I can fine tune the flow. What do you think? Is it worth it?

Gate valve is designed for adjusting flow...
Ball valve is designed for on or offnot tuning...

I would do a gate valve that way you can get the system running as quiet as possible..

I understand the redundancy of it.. that’s why I installed one on mines lol but after working with it for a few months, in my opinion it’s really not needed..

OP
OP
Foxchase

Foxchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gate valve is designed for adjusting flow...
Ball valve is designed for on or offnot tuning...

I would do a gate valve that way you can get the system running as quiet as possible..

I understand the redundancy of it.. that’s why I installed one on mines lol but after working with it for a few months, in my opinion it’s really not needed..
So you think I should put a gate valve on the return?
And no check valve?

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.9%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 71 42.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%

Back