OP
OP
F

Funbags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my eyes, the pipes will just fill till they find the lowest exit point, that being the sump. If it was a little flow I wouldn't be worried I'm just scared 1,500-2k GPH is going to effect it or it won't be able to keep up with it.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my eyes, the pipes will just fill till they find the lowest exit point, that being the sump. If it was a little flow I wouldn't be worried I'm just scared 1,500-2k GPH is going to effect it or it won't be able to keep up with it.
What size PVC is this?

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never saw one plumbed like that. Why nine 1/2" drains?

Damion

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never "trap" your drain. (Go down then back up).
You basically want to pipe your drains so that even a sticky marble would fall all the way down it. :)

Damion

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
d29a1da2427fe89d635cf654aeae6765.jpg

Roy 9121

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I'm hopping there is someone that can give me some advice here. My drain line sits about 2 inches lower then where it should connect to my sump. So to connect it I would have to add either two 90's or two 45's. Can that be done?

My tank is 2 feet above the sump, just the drain line ends below the sump line.
Can i get a picture? Can you cut the drain line shorter?

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will work, yes. Think of the trap under a sink. Water naturally will level out on each side of it. Therefore, with the same concept in mind, that entire section from the bottom of those tee's (top of sump inlet) and below will stay full of water. When you open your union, you will have a mess.

Why not just cut all the 6 half inch lines coming down from the tank? It would be a much more efficient design and not trap anything.

Captain Jack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why cant you just cut down all the drain pipes and raise the horizontal pipe up? Looks like you glued couplers to add another pipe length to get where you are at? That would be a lot easier than cutting and jackhammering out your concrete to lower your sump!

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the current slop up won't work?
anywhere plumbing runs up hill and then back down, you will wind up trapping air. It may be microbubbles, but they will collect there and slowly reduce flow...until you have a flood. If you're going to do anything that runs up and back down, you will have to make some method to vent out or pump out that are. It's really not a very good idea to do it. Drains should always run downhill, or you will eventually have a problem.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back