Plumbing layout feedback please!

estevenson78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! I'm about to go from a 24 gal cube to 75 gal rimless with a sump, can you take a look at my layout and let me know your thoughts? A couple of quick technical tidbits:

3/4" water return lines
1" drain lines to sump
Sump has 2 actual bulkheads for drain so my 3rd ER drain from the shadow overflow will go straight down into the sump.
Screen Shot 2019-10-18 at 8.18.42 AM.png

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only issue I see that you might run into is the hoizontal run part from the main drain to the sump. Sometimes it can trap air and cause problems.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree... looks good, just don't have directly horizontal runs on your drain lines due to trapped air in the pipes.

Add unions every so often so it's easier to take apart and clean or add new things without having to start completely over.

kpl_creations

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any plans for a manifold off the return pump or a separate pump?

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got some horizontal runs on mine, though only about 1 foot max... never had a problem with air. Bean animal setup, so main drain runs full siphon, 2nd runs open.

I second the use of lots of unions... if you ever have to service or move things you’ll be so grateful.

OP
OP
estevenson78

estevenson78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got some horizontal runs on mine, though only about 1 foot max... never had a problem with air. Bean animal setup, so main drain runs full siphon, 2nd runs open.

I second the use of lots of unions... if you ever have to service or move things you’ll be so grateful.
I will be installing multiple unions

OP
OP
estevenson78

estevenson78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you stuck on the Shadow overflow? You might consider alternatives from Exotic Marine Systems or Modular Marine.
Well, I'm kind stuck on it now since I bought it! LOL! I looked at them all and there were so many varying opinions on which was the best, so this is where I landed! Hopefully I'll upgrade to another tank (bigger) down the road and if I have to drill myself again and at that point I'll have to do a poll!

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I'm kind stuck on it now since I bought it! LOL! I looked at them all and there were so many varying opinions on which was the best, so this is where I landed! Hopefully I'll upgrade to another tank (bigger) down the road and if I have to drill myself again and at that point I'll have to do a poll!
From what I gather they’re fine if you don’t push the upper flow limits.

Barnabie Mejia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's how I avoided the horizontal run:
7ecb885c89d11a0e9cfdda35c1728665.jpg

On your manifold are you running your GFO/ Carbon reactor off it? I have thought about this, but wasn't sure I would have enough flow for this, I have a Jebao DC 9000 that's controllable, and another concern was me only planning to run a single return on a 75g display....

what are your thoughts? should I add a ball valve and reduce it to use for my reactor?

(not trying to thread jack here, just saw an opportunity to ask a question )

Barnabie

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back