Plumbing material question

three fish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning a basement sump room and trying to plan on what to use for the drain and return lines. Ideally I would like continuous lines (no joints) as this will be above a finished ceiling. I looked into Pex but I can't seem to find anything bigger that 1". I also could not find fittings in poly to go from pex to threaded or barbed.

My second thought was using the black tubing used for underground sprinkler systems. This fits many of the standard poly fittings. A friend told me this tubing may leach unwanted chemicals into my system.

I am planning two seperate drain lines and one main return that splits when it gets to the tank for a total of about 60'.

Maybe flexible PVC is my best option?

customcolor

The coRal nuT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
spa flex will work....they cut it to length that you need at the hardware store...anything over 1" is harder to bend it cuz of its memory that it has from being on the role.....using some heat on it can change that....50' (if you need that much) maby per role and it wont kink

Jhildebrand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. A bit pricey though. Long runs are better with hard PVC and using spaflex to make the beds or go around things. Great for return lines, but kind of a waste on a big project.

You might also look at suction or braided hose. Might change your mind when you see what a 100' roll costs though...

Jhildebrand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spaflex is flexible PVC. Comes in a roll in either black or white. White most common. Menards sells it in 10' sections, Home Depot by the foot, up to 1.5". You need to use flexible PVC cement or the rain-r-shine cement. Both have the blue label. Regular PVC cement sucks and doesn't form a good bond. I use the rain-r-shine and it sets fast and bonds great.

Jhildebrand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To soften this to make it more workable, just soak it in a tub with a couple inches of hot water for 10 minutes...

Fishcrazy06

Reefing Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spaflex is flexible PVC. Comes in a roll in either black or white. White most common. Menards sells it in 10' sections, Home Depot by the foot, up to 1.5". You need to use flexible PVC cement or the rain-r-shine cement. Both have the blue label. Regular PVC cement sucks and doesn't form a good bond. I use the rain-r-shine and it sets fast and bonds great.

+1 I love this stuff and would never use anything else again. Not only do you bypass the use of 45 or 90 fittings you have less head loss due to more sweeping turns in the plumbing!

OP
OP
T

three fish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I understand. I have seen Spaflex for about 2$ ft. Thanks for the recommendation for the rain r shine.

siropa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why the paranoia about a continuous run? If you use hard PVC and prime and glue it right, it isn't going to leak.

OP
OP
T

three fish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be a much cheaper option for me Siropa. I do like the idea of reduced head loss because of the the soft curves.

siropa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could always use a few pieces of spaflex in the worst spot where the bends are.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 16.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 52 43.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back