OP
static416

static416

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you have in the refugium that you couldn't move into a section of the sump of the new setup?
You mentioned fish. Are they not compatible with what you're doing in the new tank?
It has:
- Snowflake eel
- Dwarf Lion
- Dwarf Angel that is not reef-safe
- Bunch of macro algae and soft corals

Definitely would not work inside the new tank.

But simultanteously, I'm not super-happy about it being in my storage room, because I can't easily see it.

What do you gain by connecting everything together that can't be accomplished by other means? If it's nutrient reduction, an ATS takes up much less space than a refigium. If it's 'fuge fauna, no reason you couldn't transfer sand between the 2 tanks periodically. If it's because you use the refugium as a display, then just keep them separate and add a sump to the 'fuge. Or KISS and use a HOB filter.
1. Source of pods for the display
2. Sink for nutrients via chaeto export
3. Simplicity, all water changes and parameter balancing in one system, but has both predators and reef.

---

Appreciate the feedback here.

I still don't think it's as dire as feared, but it could just be irritating. I had a similar flow-balancing problem once, and it never overflowed, but the pump kept constantly shutting off occasionally because the pipes slowed as stuff accumulated.

---

There is one other option. There is almost enough space beside the new tank for a new refugium that could house the existing stock. But it would have to be a custom-made 2ft cube. And it would be closer to the ground than is typical.

But it would be very simple to plumb in that case. Maybe that's a better option.

More expensive. And already spending too much, but less frustrating and complex.

OP
OP
static416

static416

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe until I can fund the custom refugium, I can just use a canister on the existing one, as suggested.

d5332

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s easier and cheaper to make a hole in the concrete
Line up display lines with the wall and be done

You get a leak you will know it
You get rid of tank, patch hole in wall

You get a least in inside your drywall……..

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My personal solution would be to use something like a Stenner Dual Head Pump and simply run it constantly to continually exchange the water between the two systems. Any solution with gravity drains would scare me.

TCK Corals

Always 100% Aquacultured
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With zero options to drill through the wall - is there an option to run the refugium as a separate system from the new display?

Trying to pump over the wall in both directions may work for a (short) time as stated above but will most likely end in complete disaster for either the refugium, display tank or the entire room(s). Think of more than just a mess of water… think dry running equipment damage, livestock losses, not sure if a fire could start but there’s always that.

Also think about the pumps being used… pumps don’t last forever. What happens if one dies? Gravity fed drains with failsafe emergency drains just simply don’t malfunction the way a pump (pushing water up through a ceiling) can.

Without a photo, its difficult to try to help with a solution to this…

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With zero options to drill through the wall - is there an option to run the refugium as a separate system from the new display?

Trying to pump over the wall in both directions may work for a (short) time as stated above but will most likely end in complete disaster for either the refugium, display tank or the entire room(s). Think of more than just a mess of water… think dry running equipment damage, livestock losses, not sure if a fire could start but there’s always that.

Also think about the pumps being used… pumps don’t last forever. What happens if one dies? Gravity fed drains with failsafe emergency drains just simply don’t malfunction the way a pump (pushing water up through a ceiling) can.

Without a photo, its difficult to try to help with a solution to this…
I totally agree unless a dual-head peristaltic pump is used, there is a high risk of failure that could be very messy and even dangerous.

If the dual head pump fails both systems continue to run and there should not be siphon issues. With the dual head pump, you would simply need to run 2 1/4in lines between the systems and that is all. I would still add some leak sensors around the tanks just in case but I would recommend leak sensors whether the systems were linked or not.

jerricolaboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems impossible without constant tinkering with flow. Seems like a flood waiting to happen. If you want 2 systems with a mutual sump I’d say park 2 60cubes next to each other and plumb them to the same sump for filtrations. Rehome your current system into one of them and start over in the other one. Otherwise seems overwhelmingly difficult to maintain

OP
OP
static416

static416

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, you've all convinced me.

I'll get a custom tank made to go beside the new primary display.

The custom tank will be a little weird, 24 wide x 30 deep x 30 tall.

Only one real solution here… new house!
Really it would be my only motivation to get a new house. But I'm too poor at the moment. All these aquariums don't pay for themselves.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 132 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back