Plumbing / Overflow question

mickske

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

So I'm new to the saltwater aquariums and I'm getting a lot of information from the forums very helpful!

So here it goes I've been looking at plumbing i bought a used 55 gallon tank that came with an HOB overflow. Now i did the glass check and i can drill my tank, which I'm planning to do but i need some help.

I don't want to go with animal bean because i don't want anything on the back of my tank, i want it as close as possible against the wall.

Some info about my setup i got a new RS-100 sump 3rd gen from eshopps and a jecob DCS-5000 pump.

How big do my bulkheads have to be? And how do i plumb them? I saw some people making two with 90 elbows, one up and one down. (Herbie if I'm not misstaken) and how big should my overflow box be?

Then the last question is should i drill a hole for my return line or just keep the U style that hangs over the back?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated

MaiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ghost boxes are real nice for the drain, but as far as the size two 3/4 holds should work or 1 - 1" bulkhead and a 3/4" would be more quite. Two 3/4 inch returns drilled would work and you should be able to get 500-700 got including head pressure with that pump.

OP
OP
M

mickske

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay so i will be drilling two holes for 1 inch bulkheads, but what do i do within the overflow box? just leave the bulkhead that's it? or do i put some pipes on there, so that one can become emergency?

and what about return line, should i drill or should i just leave it hanging on the back? i'll be painting the back black so i can hide all my plumbing etc.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 118 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back