Plumbing overflow..

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as you can tell I am in the process of dry plumbing my tank. Obviously I am trying for a bean animal style setup. I know it isn't on the tank yet but I wanted to post it and see if you guys see anything wrong or if I need to make any adjustments to it before I get to the final installment stage. I know that I have to drill a hole in one of the drains also but I couldn't remember if it was the full siphon drain or the other one. Thanks for the help guys, it is much appreciated

OP
OP
Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crap, it didn't go through. So try guys... had a dumd@$$ moment there.
20170426_181912.jpg

Maybe that will help a little bit, hahahah

MagisterDamask

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crap, it didn't go through. So try guys... had a dumd@$$ moment there.
20170426_181912.jpg

Maybe that will help a little bit, hahahah

Yeah, whichever of the two outside pipes you choose to make your full siphon, drill the other for the open channel. The middle is the emergency drain.

OP
OP
Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I strongly recommend true union gate valves for your adjustment valves on the open and siphon channels.

Ball valves are ok, but the gate valves are easier to dial in.
Absolutely going with the gate valve. That's why I have only dry plumbed the inside of the overflow box. My local stores didn't have one so I had to order it on the line. So once it gets here I will work a little farther down, lol

OP
OP
Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the pipes set now to where the full siphon line is 1/2" from the bottom of the box and the second line is at 1". Of course I can adjust that later if needed though. Now do I need to glue the fittings and pipes inside the box also?

MagisterDamask

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely going with the gate valve. That's why I have only dry plumbed the inside of the overflow box. My local stores didn't have one so I had to order it on the line. So once it gets here I will work a little farther down, lol

Take your time, plan your plumbing, think of every possible situation and use unions wherever you can. I know you will but I can't say it enough.

You will be happy that you went with the gate valves.

Good luck and keep us posted and we like project update pictures!

OP
OP
Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take your time, plan your plumbing, think of every possible situation and use unions wherever you can. I know you will but I can't say it enough.

You will be happy that you went with the gate valves.

Good luck and keep us posted and we like project update pictures!
Will do my man.. I actually have started a little thread for my build. This is my first ever reef tank so i am absolutely getting in no rush. Mainly because if I do rush I will screw something up. Also I really like to do things on my own so I am trying to build as much of it as I can myself... However I do ask tons of questions [emoji106]

MagisterDamask

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the pipes set now to where the full siphon line is 1/2" from the bottom of the box and the second line is at 1". Of course I can adjust that later if needed though. Now do I need to glue the fittings and pipes inside the box also?

I'm not familiar with eshopps overflow box or has much room is in there to clean and do maintenance. It's possible that you could get buy without gluing them.

We might need the opinion of someone that uses a ghost type overflow like this one.

My set up is different and I glued everything.

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, in enter through the two holes on the backside of the pipes. It is an Eshopps eclipse overflow box
I ask because once you dial in your siphon to allow just a little flow through the open channel, it will of course drop the water level. Which means the water coming into the box will fall further. Too much turbulence can cause cavitation or other issues with the siphon. You may be alright, just something to keep in mind. And yes Glue your fittings so as to avoid any air leaks in the full siphon.

OP
OP
Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it a lot. I was a little nervous at first about drilling my tank but after I did some research on it I said the heck with it and just went for it. I am glad I went this route with it instead of the HOB overflow

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back