Plumbing Peninsula Style Tank with Two Overflows

bluecheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so this tank has been sitting empty in my office for a few months now. Work has finally slowed down enough to where I can devote some time to it. Right now, I'm stuck on the plumbing, and I have a bunch of questions. I started a build thread, but I figured my questions may get more traction here. 125 gallon peninsula style tank with overflow boxes on each end of the tank. The tank is drilled at the bottom for the drains and return. 3 holes in each overflow box.

-The plan is to use a Herbie style drain in each overflow. Any potential issues I should be aware of since we are talking about two overflows working independently of each other.

-Would it be an issue to use braided flexible pipe instead of pvc for the drains and the return? Obviously the standpipes will be pvc. I'm asking about the dry-side drains, and the return. The plan was to attach barbs to the bulkheads and attach the flex pipe to the barbs with clamps.

-The bulkheads are abs. Any issues gluing PVC to that?

-Any issues attaching a gate valve to flex hose?

Last edited:

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I would use one box as inlets and the other as drains. Do a BeanAnimal setup for the drains, then have multiple outlets coming out of the other box. Just a thought.

mrlavalamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use a durso on the taller of the herbie pipes to make it quieter.

The biggest risk using barbs and hose of any variety is the hose popping off. Metal hose clamps rust, plastic ones can be tricky but they have worked for me. Get a few extras because I broke one trying to clamp it down.

Could you install the gate valve next to the bulkhead and then switch to the braided hose after the gate? The gate valve will be holding back some pressure, and I would want to keep as much pressure off the hose portion of your drains as possible, just peace of mind for me really.

Glueing ABS to PVC is just fine, provided you use the correct glue (it can be found and just about every hardware store too).

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back