Plumbing question - bean animal

spikedangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I have a good grasp of how to plumb my bean animal overflow, but I am unsure if I should use 1" or 3/4" plumbing on the full siphon line.

All other plumbing will be 1" aside from my manifold which will be reduced off the 1" return.

My return pump is a Jebao D.C. 6000. I did the research a while ago, so I don't recall the exact numbers, but 3/4" full siphons puts me in the flow rate that I way. 1" is would put a lot of flow through the sump.

I ask this question because I have to use a reduction from the bulkheads to get to 3/4 and I'm not sure if this will adversely effect the bean animal system.

Any help is appreciated!

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would make them all the same, bigger is better and no restrictions if possible. You're saying you have to restrict it down to 3/4"? What is the size of the others? Basically 3x1" is ideal.

OP
OP
spikedangles

spikedangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The open channel and emergency are 1". I'm just going to go 1" all around and hopefully be able to adjust the flow with the DC return pump.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always add a gate valve to your main over flow and get your desired flow rate that way. The bean animal set up is exactly as such. You would maintain the siphon and get the exact flow you want to match your pump. Don't put a valve on the open channel or emergency and you should never have a problem.

A link to bean animals site, his original project shows a valve on each.

http://www.beananimal.com/projects/silent-and-fail-safe-aquarium-overflow-system.aspx

Last edited:

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent choice, without one I'd be lost. I also put one on the return, but that's been a waste and I've never used it. I was thinking it might be useful with a manifold, but with the new DC pumps there's no point. A check valve on the return has been very useful though. That way when I do water changes and turn off the pump it doesn't drain a ton back into the sump

OP
OP
spikedangles

spikedangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could drill a small hole in the return just under the water line. That will stop the siphon once the water level exposes the hole to air.

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you can keep a full siphon without any valve to adjust flow, you likely should have gone with a larger diameter pipe. How much flow is going down the secondary line?

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always add a gate valve to your main over flow and get your desired flow rate that way. The bean animal set up is exactly as such. You would maintain the siphon and get the exact flow you want to match your pump. Don't put a valve on the open channel or emergency and you should never have a problem.

A link to bean animals site, his original project shows a valve on each.

http://www.beananimal.com/projects/silent-and-fail-safe-aquarium-overflow-system.aspx
That's what I did. I ran a full 1.5" emergency line. After having a flood that insurance paid out over $160k on, I am not taking any chances on any overflows. My setup is plumbed into my basement, and even there, I have backup things that will prevent overflows of my sumps.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back