Plumbing Question - Reservoir to Second reservoir syphoning protection

k2-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reefers,
Quick question - My ATO setup is as following

A 240 G water reservoir (I use NSW) which is at an elevation of around 10 ft mounted and plumbed into the garage - I will call it Master reservoir
A small 30 gallon brute tank reservoir which keeps the water heated for water change - I will call it Heated reservoir

Plumbing has ball valves at different sections.

A pump which pulls the water from master reservoir to heated reservoir

Heated reservoir has a float valve which shuts off the pump when water fills up

Question - My trouble is that even though i switch off the pump the master reservoir is syphoning, of course i can shut off the ball valves and it does stop but i am looking for strategies when water is only pulled when i turn the pump on. Any thoughts ?

IMG_0151.jpeg

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey here's a daft question!

If the "master" reservoir is located higher up than the "heated" reservoir, why use a pump in the first place? Gravity should surely take care of that for you? :)

Seems a somewhat complicated way to make your water changes work! ;) Just pull a 1/2" hose/tube from your master to your heated and fit it onto a float - and skip the pump!

If you want, slab on an optical sensor and a solenoid as a backup if the water rises. You can keep your ball valves in place for maintenance purposes etc.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Google Siphon break. You just need to install a siphon break. Also agree gravity would work and eliminate the problem.

OP
OP
k2-

k2-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sometimes when the tank is empty my guy comes and fills it up , in that case syphon breaks. Been doing it for a few months but since i will be travelling - i dont think my wife will be very keen on manual syphon creation !

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sometimes when the tank is empty my guy comes and fills it up , in that case syphon breaks. Been doing it for a few months but since i will be travelling - i dont think my wife will be very keen on manual syphon creation !
Gravity will move the water, you don’t need to create a siphon

OP
OP
k2-

k2-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah - the only thing that I want to avoid is from time to time when the siphon breaks when the master reservoir is empty

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah - the only thing that I want to avoid is from time to time when the siphon breaks when the master reservoir is empty
A gravity ATO doesn’t use a siphon….what do you not understand? Therefore you don’t need to worry about starting or stopping a siphon.
FE026734-B40F-4EE5-9177-73BE02FED476.jpeg

OP
OP
k2-

k2-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see what you are saying - yeah a good idea actually ! Will wait for next time the reservoir to empty - it will be difficult though as it’s a 280 gallon tote with very small opening - so installing a 1/4 inch line will be a fun project ! But yeah in that scenario it will be pretty automatic …..

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Quick question - My ATO setup is as following

A 240 G water reservoir (I use NSW) which is at an elevation of around 10 ft mounted and plumbed into the garage - I will call it Master reservoir
Wait a second, we are using natural seawater for our auto top off?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back