Plumbing question

fredward

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi. I got this 70gal used. Drilled for a 1.5” drain, 1” e-drain and 1” return. Herbie type. Was wanting to know if 1.5” for the main drain is optimal or too large. Would it be better or would it work to run the 1” as the main drain and the 1.5” as the e-drain. I have a 30 gal sump and a sicce sdc 6.0 was going to run about 5x turnover so around 500gph after head pressure is accounted for
02FF6C14-01B6-48F9-ABF2-61A9751BB74F.jpeg

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would run it exactly as you have it listed.

The smaller emergency will allow a lot of noise if activated. Which is exactly what you want. If the emergency is activated, making a large noise will alert you to an issue.

1" full siphon(should the emergency be activated and go full siphon) should still be plenty big enough to handle the load should the main become blocked.

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will work either way, but I would use the 1.5" for the emergency. A 1" full siphon is plenty for a 70 gal. You will be throttling down severely on a 1.5" full siphon with that small overflow box.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would switch the main and emergency also. Depending on your plumbing layout your 500 gph would only require about a 1/2" orifice.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed with the switch for 1” for main drain, 1.5 for emergency.
one inch for full siphon is more than enough, while one inch for emergency is cutting it too close for comfort

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed with the switch for 1” for main drain, 1.5 for emergency.
one inch for full siphon is more than enough, while one inch for emergency is cutting it too close for comfort
Logically that makes 0 sense.

If a 1" full siphon is plenty, then why would a 1" emergency(goes full siphon if main is blocked) not be enough? Same size pipe in both instances, and both going full siphon.

In my herbie setup I have a 1" main, and 1" emergency. Both provide adequate amount of flow if one is blocked.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Logically that makes 0 sense.

If a 1" full siphon is plenty, then why would a 1" emergency(goes full siphon if main is blocked) not be enough? Same size pipe in both instances, and both going full siphon.

In my herbie setup I have a 1" main, and 1" emergency. Both provide adequate amount of flow if one is blocked.
The emergency will flip from full siphon to not full siphon because it has no valve and water will drain below the top of the pipe, sucking air, then have to purge itself of air to become full siphon, then repeat, again and again.
Why use the 1.5 for main/full siphon when the one inch is more than enough? Will be easier to purge and run quieter using the one inch for main drain. Safer to use 1.5 as emergency. A no brainer

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The emergency will flip from full siphon to not full siphon because it has no valve and water will drain below the top of the pipe, sucking air, then have to purge itself of air to become full siphon, then repeat, again and again.
Why use the 1.5 for main/full siphon when the one inch is more than enough? Will be easier to purge and run quieter using the one inch for main drain. Safer to use 1.5 as emergency. A no brainer
I get that, and thank you for explaining it.

But wouldn't you want it to go full siphon, flush, repeat just for the noise factor to alert you of something going wrong? Least that is how I know something is wrong in my setup.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get that, and thank you for explaining it.

But wouldn't you want it to go full siphon, flush, repeat just for the noise factor to alert you of something going wrong? Least that is how I know something is wrong in my setup.
I see your point and personally would rather know it’s failsafe and flood proof. Could/should have main drain exit an inch or two below water level in sump so it runs quiet. And have the emergency drain end a few inches above the sump water level so it splashes and makes noise.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see your point and personally would rather know it’s failsafe and flood proof. Could/should have main drain exit an inch or two below water level in sump so it runs quiet. And have the emergency drain end a few inches above the sump water level so it splashes and makes noise.
Exactly how I have mine setup actually. The e-drain is a inch or so above the water level so I can hear it crashing. It also empties above the return so it creates bubbles in the display.

Visual, and audible clues as to something going wrong.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly how I have mine setup actually. The e-drain is a inch or so above the water level so I can hear it crashing. It also empties above the return so it creates bubbles in the display.

Visual, and audible clues as to something going wrong.
That’s cool. Think most people, including myself, have sump set up so that water from display goes into sump on one side, then skimmer, fuge, whatever else, then on the opposing side return pump. So that water that goes into sump goes through whatever filtration processes you have set up, then returns to display

Last edited:

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do use the 1-1/2" for a full siphon, I recommend reducing it down to 1" after the bulkhead. The 1.5" pipe is bulky to work with and I think you may have a difficult time flushing the air out of a 1.5" full siphon below the gate valve and keeping it quiet. You also will not like the price of a 1.5" gate valve.

OP
OP
fredward

fredward

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks everyone. I think I’ll set it up as 1” drain and 1.5” emergency. It’ll be cheaper too cause a 1.5” gate valve is over $100

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%

Back